KVM Switch!!!!!

FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited December 21, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Both laptops HDMI Outputs
LCD screen DVI input

I would like to cut down on space being used and have everything in my office. I'm looking for a reasonable KVM switch so I can hook both laptops to work with one LCD - keyboard - mouse and sound. I would also like to keep my quality of LCD screen performance to a maximum for my photo editing. I'm sure there is a Grinner that may have had same dilemma that could offer me some advice.

Thanx: Brady:dunno
Dad/Photograher:ivar

Comments

• BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2010
    I've not seen a VKM switch that also adapts HDMI to DVI, but you can buy (fairly cheaply, check amazon.com) HDMI to DVI-D adaptors.

Used a Belkin KVM for years with good success.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2010
    Blackwood wrote: »
    I've not seen a VKM switch that also adapts HDMI to DVI, but you can buy (fairly cheaply, check amazon.com) HDMI to DVI-D adaptors.
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    I just use Remote Desktop or Virtual Network Client to do this task. One computer is the "master and connected to everything, the other computer is the one I connect to. It was cheaper than the KVM. There are some tradeoffs but depending on your needs it might solve the issue on the cheap.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • spralesprale Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 21, 2010
    The built-in Screen Sharing app works like ARD, but comes free with 10.5+, but without all the cool reporting and advanced features. I've run KVM switches before with ease, it's usually just a matter of sorting out video adapters. You should be able to find a HDMI to DVI cable easily.
  • FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    I trying an HDMI switch!
    Just waiting on HDMI cables to come from Toronto - then I'm going to try a HDMI Switch along with synergy program for mouse and keyboard. I'll have less than 50 invested ,and if it doesn't work to my satisfaction then the kids can use it for PS3 and XBox.

Bradyne_nau.gif
    Dad/Photograher:ivar