Mother and daughter candid

Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
edited October 24, 2005 in People
Hello All,

I was out on a boat this weekend. Having a memorial and spreading some ashes in the Bay. The girlfriend of one of my wife's cousins was in the bow with her son and daughter so they could really experience the fun of going up and down over the swells :rolleyes I had a pretty good lens for portraits attached so I decided to take this shot anyway. They were holding on for dear life and I was braced so I didn't fall overboard....lol

I wish I could have gotten just a bit more of the mom's face from the angle I shot it, but I just loved their expressions :lust

35792856-L.jpg

Particulars: Canon 20D, Tamron 28-75mm @ F5.6 60mm, ISO400, 1/2500, under pretty flat lighting :rolleyes

I'd rather be shooting birds/animals :dunno Since I don't shoot people often, I'd appreciate any feedback you would care to impart :D

Thanks in advance :thumb

Steve
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2005
    First off let me say that photographers are too critical of themselves.

With that said. I think you really captured the joy of a mother and daughter in this shot. Yes you could have gotten a little more of the mothers face in there but then you would have lost some of the daughters, and I'm sure the mother loves this shot exactly how it is. Fill flash may have gotten more detail on the bottom shadows but the part of the picture (mother and childs expressions) that matters the most is excellent in my opinion. In short, great job Steve thumb.gif
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited September 13, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    First off let me say that photographers are too critical of themselves.

With that said. I think you really captured the joy of a mother and daughter in this shot. Yes you could have gotten a little more of the mothers face in there but then you would have lost some of the daughters, and I'm sure the mother loves this shot exactly how it is. Fill flash may have gotten more detail on the bottom shadows but the part of the picture (mother and childs expressions) that matters the most is excellent in my opinion. In short, great job Steve thumb.gif
    Thanks for the input Nick :D

This thread has had quite a few views, but you were the only one to respond thumb.gif I was starting to worry that this one was another pic that I thought was nice that others didn't feel the same about....lol It still may be, but at least you saw what I saw clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    Anytime Steve :D . I was also surprised to see no other responses to this. I would be proud to have taken this photo, don't let a lack of comments ruin your view of your work. I think as long as you and the mother and child like the shot it was well worth taking.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    That's a great shot Steve, the look on the little girls face is just priceless. You can almost hear the giggle...

Ed
    Thanks Ed :D

Maybe it was just the father in me, but I remember those smiles that used to melt my heart. I kind of miss them now that my girls are older :cry When I saw this mother and child, I just had to go for it....lol

Thanks again,

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    I really like this pic Steve. Your description fits the photo perfectly, both of them holding on tightly to the rails and both enjoying the boat trip. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Shay.
  • Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    Steve..

Great capture...hope the Mom got a copy! You should shoot people shots more often!thumb.gif
    edited September 14, 2005
    Seamus wrote:
    I really like this pic Steve. Your description fits the photo perfectly, both of them holding on tightly to the rails and both enjoying the boat trip. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Shay.
    Thanks Shay :D

Yeah they were enjoying it. Others were starting to look a bit green around the gills and this Mom and her kids were having a ball.....lol Tell him to go faster and over bigger waves Mom lol3.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    Trish323 wrote:
    Steve..

Great capture...hope the Mom got a copy! You should shoot people shots more often!thumb.gif
    Thanks Trish :D

Yeah, you're right. I really should shoot people more often rolleyes1.gif But birds are so much more fun to shoot.....lol Plus, birds never complain about the results :D

Thanks for taking the time to comment,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    Thanks for the input Nick :D

This thread has had quite a few views, but you were the only one to respond thumb.gif I was starting to worry that this one was another pic that I thought was nice that others didn't feel the same about....lol It still may be, but at least you saw what I saw clap.gif

Steve

Hey Steve didn't see this till just a moment ago, Sorry
    ne_nau.gif
    It's just a great shot to share and for all the personal reasons you described. Made me think of my Grandkids right away. Don't feel bad about lack of comments, I got plenty of posts with 0 too, ya know :D
    think I'm kidding chk this out:

50+views no comments

think I'll stick to wildlife too :lol4, guess the images just suck on ice lol3.gif

On second thought you got lots of replies and views rolleyes1.gifthumb.gif
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    Plus, birds never complain about the results :D

Steve
    Amen, animals & bikes don't care if you take a bad pic but a woman.... hell hath no fury rolleyes1.gif
  • aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    Hi Steve,

I think this is a great shot. The profiles of their smiles, their hair blowing in the wind and their body language is simply wonderful. Their blue sweaters against the white background accents them even more.

Such an authentic and lively shot.

Michal
    bfjr wrote:
    Hey Steve didn't see this till just a moment ago, Sorry
    ne_nau.gif
    It's just a great shot to share and for all the personal reasons you described. Made me think of my Grandkids right away. Don't feel bad about lack of comments, I got plenty of posts with 0 too, ya know :D
    think I'm kidding chk this out:

50+views no comments

think I'll stick to wildlife too :lol4, guess the images just suck on ice lol3.gif

On second thought you got lots of replies and views rolleyes1.gifthumb.gif
    Thanks Ben :D

Yeah, I know that some of the wildlife shooters seldom stray into these other forums....lol Good to see you posting here though thumb.gif

I hear ya about the lack of responses. I usually don't care too much, but I was sincere about this one. I really am lame at people shots and it's an area I'd like to improve. Any input is/was welcome.

Your images in the semi-ignored thread (looks like Gubbs took the time to post to it) weren't bad at all. The chick on the rocks was interesting and I think the sunset shot of the boat might have been even better if you were going for the silhouette look. I have the same problem with many of my sunset shots. I try to show foreground detail and I probably shouldn't ne_nau.gif I'm thinking these pics would look better with an identifiable silhouette and that colorful sky behind rolleyes1.gif

Anywho thanks for the comments,

Steve

Grandkids? Damn you ARE old lol3.giflol3.gifblbl.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
    auraflora wrote:
    Hi Steve,

I think this is a great shot. The profiles of their smiles, their hair blowing in the wind and their body language is simply wonderful. Their blue sweaters against the white background accents them even more.

Such an authentic and lively shot.

Michal
    Thanks Michal :D

All of the things you point out work together to make this pic appealing to my eyes also. So much so, that I will be trying to do more candid people shots.

Thank you very much for your comments thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    Seamus wrote:
    Amen, animals & bikes don't care if you take a bad pic but a woman.... hell hath no fury rolleyes1.gif
    Laughing.gif Shay rolleyes1.gif

Yep, I've never had an egret approach me and tell me that my Bigma made it's butt look too big :lol :lol Plus, women are always looking for a reason to rag their spouses anyway. Taking their pic just gives them another opportunity to exploit your incompetence.....Laughing.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    I am glad this shot got bumped. I had no idea it was here. Wonderful shot, I love the daughter in particular, the mother with the daughter, oh, how wonderful.

You know it seems sometimes shots just get posted at the wrong time. Frustrating, so I am very glad we all got to see and enjoy this one. You were right to like it so much, Steve. I think it is a great shot of true happy emotion shared.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2005
    Hello All,

35792856-L.jpg

Particulars: Canon 20D, Tamron 28-75mm @ F5.6 60mm, ISO400, 1/2500, under pretty flat lighting rolleyes1.gif

I'd rather be shooting birds/animals ne_nau.gif Since I don't shoot people often, I'd appreciate any feedback you would care to impart :D

Thanks in advance thumb.gif

Steve

Priviet, Steve!

I like this photo! I was amazed by its sharpnes!
    I like expressions of both mom and daughter, but...
    You know, sometimes there are things ... that make or nullify the photo. In this case I think the thing that doesnt make this photo, that bring to naught all the good in this photo...
    Girl's closed eyes...
    If only you could press the knobe half sec before or after...
    I know, I've made such photos ... and I had to delete them (though I loved them very much...)
    Sorry, this is my opinion...
    That's why I try to make 50-100 shots while taking portraits - not so pity if 40-90 of them will be bad...
    Yuri
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I am glad this shot got bumped. I had no idea it was here. Wonderful shot, I love the daughter in particular, the mother with the daughter, oh, how wonderful.

You know it seems sometimes shots just get posted at the wrong time. Frustrating, so I am very glad we all got to see and enjoy this one. You were right to like it so much, Steve. I think it is a great shot of true happy emotion shared.

ginger
    Thanks Ginger :D

As I wrote, I really don't do "people" as well as I'd like. After I posted this here, I was kicking myself in the rear (a tough task at my age....lol) for not posting it in the Critique Forum ne_nau.gif But now that I've gotten some feedback, it was good I posted it in this forum :):

Like your little girl pic, this one made me feel good just looking at it. So good that it was hard to not smile along with the mom and daughter while viewing it.

Thanks for taking the time to comment,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    Priviet, Steve!

I like this photo! I was amazed by its sharpnes!
    I like expressions of both mom and daughter, but...
    You know, sometimes there are things ... that make or nullify the photo. In this case I think the thing that doesnt make this photo, that bring to naught all the good in this photo...
    Girl's closed eyes...
    If only you could press the knobe half sec before or after...
    I know, I've made such photos ... and I had to delete them (though I loved them very much...)
    Sorry, this is my opinion...
    That's why I try to make 50-100 shots while taking portraits - not so pity if 40-90 of them will be bad...
    Yuri
    Spasibo Yuri :D

Please don't apologize for voicing your opinion old friend. I value everyone's comments good or not so good. I can only dream of someday capturing portrait shots as skillfully as you do clap.gif

You opinion is right on thumb.gif Other than wishing I had caught more of the mother's face, I also wished that the daughter had her eyes open ne_nau.gif I do have the previous shot in this "burst" where she does have her eyes open, but her face isn't as "lit up" (not lighting, but with joy) as it is in this one. I will work it tonight and post it in this thread. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to view it and let me know if you think it is a better statement of sharing love and joy :D

Thank you for your comments,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Good composition and mother & daughter shot. I wish you had aimed a little lower. I'm especially sensitive to this because I have to work very hard to keep from aiming high myself. I'd crop a bit off the top of this one. Hey, you're just making it 8x10 ratio, right. 1x1.25. Harry says he always does that.
    If not now, when?
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    that's a lovely picture Steve!