making background white but spiky hair problem

banditbandit Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited December 5, 2010 in Finishing School
hi all
i apreciate your time in reading this.
i have done some shots for a family friend i have tried to make the white background bright white in adobe cs5 but having alot of trouble around his Spiky hair
i am quite new to cs5 and tried all sorts of stuff is there an easier way to do this that i am missing. please can anyone help me

this pic is a bad quality version as the good ones are on my home computer this just happened to be on my works 1
dsc026480.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Just a normal guy who see's eveything as one big picture (just wish my memory card was big enough lol)

Comments

• digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2010
    One of your issues is that both the shirt and the background are grey/white, but the shirt is much brighter than the background. Any adjustment to the background will also brighten the shirt, so getting the background sufficiently close to white will blow out the detail in the shirt.

To target the background (and the shirt to some extent) you will need to make a selection and mask to increase the brightness of just the background.

Not knowing you Photoshop skills just yet, here is a link to an fairly easy way to make a selection to try brightening the background. We can start with this and move forward to something a bit more advanced.

This should give you a pretty good start!

regards,
  • banditbandit Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    ok fantastic thanks for a great reply i will try this when i get home.
    in regardsto the tshirt couldnt i just make the tshirt a seperate layer or would the colour range still change the white in this
    Just a normal guy who see's eveything as one big picture (just wish my memory card was big enough lol)
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    use eyedropper+ [ middel one ] to add range and use fuzziness to adjust

yes , it is an idea to make the shirt a layer
    select it in the same way , or by hand [ lasso ]