A three bottle problem

rob marshallrob marshall Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited December 6, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I spent several days last week trying to work out a way to get rim lighting like this. I gave up. Then a photo mag dropped through my door and told me how to do it!

My intention here was just to get the merest outline of the bottle shapes with everything else either very dark or pure black.

Does it work? Or is it too minimalist?

I used a Canon 50D with Sigma 105mm macro, single studio light with diffuser and black art-board partially obscuring the diffuser, which allowed the light to wrap around the bottles.

1114112452_bdccH-XL.jpg

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2010
    I think it works great -- Maybe show some edging of the first bottle to look similar to the other two.

Good work thumb.gif
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2010
    Nice thumb.gif
    Randy
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2010
    I came across a good book in the local library dealing with this sort of stuff.

'Light science & magic - An Introduction to Photographic Lighting'
    by Fil Hunter + Paul Fuqua

Might be worth a shufties if you can find a copy.

pp
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2010
    I think it's a great minimalistic abstract. This would be really cool, sophisticated hanging on a wall.

Of course I wouldn't want to print it with my printer.........huge amount of black ink!

Sam
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2010
    Interesting. Reminds me of the way city horizons are drawn in cartoons. What if you were to join up the outlines similarly? Also what if you were to use gels somehow to get some colour in the line?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited December 4, 2010

pp

Thanks for mentioning this! What an intriguing title!

Neil

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 5, 2010
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    I think getting twin highlights on the left hand bottle would make this even better. Nice work.
  • rob marshallrob marshall Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010

pp

Thanks, PP. I just ordered a used copy from Amazon. There is an updated version dated 2007. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Science-Introduction-Photographic-Lighting/dp/0240808193/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291655912&sr=8-1
    edited December 6, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    I think it's a great minimalistic abstract. This would be really cool, sophisticated hanging on a wall.

Of course I wouldn't want to print it with my printer.........huge amount of black ink!

Sam

Perhaps you could print it on black paper, that way it would take very little ink.rolleyes1.gif
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    very cool!
    picture of the set up? :)
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    << I just ordered a used copy from Amazon >>
    :)

Hope you find it as useful as I did.
    I kept renewing the library loan period and then a few yrs ago started dropping hints to offspring about this time of year. One of them got the message :)

Simple but effective diagrams showing setups and photos showing the results etc - all done (imo) in such a way that you didn't feel the book had been written / produced as an excuse for the authors to show off their portfolios.

pp
    edited December 6, 2010
    I think getting twin highlights on the left hand bottle would make this even better. Nice work.

Yes, I think so. It's tricky getting the items in just the right distance from the light - too far out and you get too much light, too far in and you lose the rim light.

Here's the setup (doen't look very sophisticated, I'm afraid). It's just some black card ion front of a diffuser. Actually you can use any colour as the light doesn't shine on it and it comes out black anyway. Here's the EXIF, but it all depends on the power output from the light box. http://www.flickr.com/photos/carregwenimages/5229772644/meta/

9uysmb.jpg
    edited December 6, 2010
    And here's another from the same session... One for the road This one is very minimalist.

5229178131_9c642e0b42_o.jpg
    edited December 6, 2010
    The stuff of eye catching advertising!

Neil