Just starting out

DigitalKidDigitalKid Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited December 6, 2010 in Cameras
I have a 13 year old who borrowed my camera (basic point and shoot digital) and seems to have an eye for photography. He joined a photography club (run by his English teacher) about a year ago and is having a blast. So far his teacher has enlarged some of his work to hang in the library, encouraged him to take pictures for the school yearbook, and has suggested it would be a shame not invest in his talent.

At this point, my son continues to use my digital point and shoot although I have recently purchased an SLR that I am willing to loan him as he learns/grows a bit more.

Now for my questions---
  1. What is the best way to get him started in what could be a promising hobby (he tells me his professional goal is to study architecture)?
  2. Also, we do not own any photo editing software but we were thinking about getting him something along these lines for Christmas...is this a good idea or is that not really needed at this point?

Any advice you can share would be welcome.

Comments

• aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2010
    What about Picasa for editing software? It lets you do some basic adjustments, is easy to use, and is free. It's also a good organizing tool for relatively simple/small libraries.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 4, 2010
    Photography and architecture are a pretty good match for a life pursuit.

A photography course would be a good idea.

A camera with some manual controls is a very good idea, even of it's an advanced digicam. A camera with an external flash capability will lend itself to the exploration of lighting and lighting control, both extremely important concepts for any type of advanced photography.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 4, 2010
    What about Picasa for editing software? It lets you do some basic adjustments, is easy to use, and is free. It's also a good organizing tool for relatively simple/small libraries.

Picasa is a very nice entry level image editor and the GIMP is also free and allows advanced editing like layers and masks. I believe that both are available for Windows and Mac systems.

http://picasa.google.com/

http://www.gimp.org/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »

Thanks for posting the link, Ziggy. I should have thought to do that.
    edited December 5, 2010
    richy wrote: »

Books can help but not too many, most of them repeat themselves and each other.

A manual camera (zenits were always fun) and some film and the opportunity to shoot lots is one of the best things.

Photography is something you love, you just have to keep that love there, shiny new kit isn't required, opportunity and challengers are what it takes :)

There is a lot of good advice in Richy's reply, but I wanted to highlight and emphatically agree with what is quoted above. For me, my dad giving me a film SLR and a basic "Intro to 35mm photography" book when I was about 14 is what ignited my personal journey and passion. It really, truly changed my life and I'm still grateful for that to this day.

Learning the basics, which is relatively easy to do with a film SLR, is an excellent foundation for a beginning (or burgeoning) photographer. A lot of the metaphors (like ISO, for instance) have been carried over into digital, so it's time well spent. "Only" having 36 exposures per roll also can instill a sense of care and thoughtfulness into one's shooting style. And it's dirt cheap to pick up a film SLR these days. In fact, I saw someone on DGrin giving away an old film Rebel just today for the cost of postage: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=185032.

I don't think photography has to start out expensive to become a lifelong pursuit. With some basic, cheap gear and a little curiosity, you can get a solid foundation and have a ton of fun at the same time. (Later, you can blow all of your disposable income on kit. thumb.gif)

I still have and love my original film SLR and its 50mm lens. :D
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    Whilst I'd echo what's already been said in many ways, my suggestion re kit would be to get a non 'cutting edge' - but decent - DSLR - something like a Canon 10D (or whatever other makers equivalents are). I've no idea what your budget is, or how much they're going for on fleabay etc these days - but I doubt it's for mega quids / bucks :).

The part of the learning curve that I think everyone will agree about is that of 'getting out and about and taking pics' - lots of them - seeing what works and what doesn't, what he likes / doesn't like etc. Last time I used film (am in UK) it was approx £4 > £5 a roll for 36 exp print film incl processing. It won't take too many rolls of film before this can add up and offset the less expensive outlay for manual gear .

Again, depending on circumstances, the (film) cost can start to inhibit how one goes about taking pics - yes, 'only' having 36 shots available implies some discipline / thought - but there's nothing to stop a similar approach being used if using a DSLR, either - and he'd have spare capacity available for that 'once in a lifetime' shot that presents itself (UFO landing on whitehouse lawn / politician apologising for being wrong/lying :)) ... which wouldn't be available if he'd just taken his last film frame.

Some subject matter - macro for instance - is a good example of where he'd be able to take lots of shots to gain the necessary experience / techniques - without spending a fortune on film would be a factor.
    In such cases, another advantage of using digital (over film, imo) shows itself - a DSLR records all the information present at the time thepic was taken, thus letting the user review said info later - which helps to unpick why pics did / didn't work etc. You won't have to look very far on any photography site (like DG) to see people asking for these details of posters who're having problems and looking for help.

Obviously it's possible to record all of this sort of detail if using an old manual film cam - but would it happen?

Since we live in a digital world - like 'D' grin - he'd also need some means of scanning / converting his film output to let him upload it here for people to comment on - Does he have access to suitable equipment, either at home or school?

BTW, a 10D (or any other similar 6Mp cam) incidentally outputs a 3k x 2k pixel image file - which is the same size of file that film users used to get from having their 35mm slides / negs scanned and written to a standard quality photo CD.

If printing of images is still a requirement (generally come as std with film) then there's nothing to stop digital files being printed either - places in the Uk are often offering 6x4 prints @ 5p (8c?) each if done in 100 image batches. Printing from digital files allows the user to only get the ones they want to be printed - as opposed to everything (whether good or bad) being printed at the time of the film processing.

Any standard Canon (EF) lens will fit on any current (and more modern) Canon digital body ( or EF mount Film bodies) - although he/ you would probably have to consider EFS lenses too, if he was more interested in subject matter that required wider angle rather than telephoto coverage.

You mention the recent purchase of a DSLR - so maybe another older (inexpensive) body of the same make - which'd allow lenses to be shared between them?

Whilst I personally don't use film any more, I don't have anything against it - I just think it offers fewer options for experimentation (in the described situation) than digital - especially if cost is a relevant / important factor.

pp
  • pickerbwpickerbw Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    DigitalKid wrote: »
    I have a 13 year old

Don't forget to check out student discounts if you end up getting commercially available software. I think Adobe offers a student discount for K-12 students. That should bring the cost of Lightroom to <$100.
  • DigitalKidDigitalKid Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 5, 2010
    Wow, you guys offer great advice! I will check out your recommendations and the info on this site as well. Really, this is all very new to us so it will take a bit of time to absorb. Thanks so much to all of you.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    DigitalKid wrote: »
    I have a 13 year old who borrowed my camera (basic point and shoot digital) and seems to have an eye for photography. He joined a photography club (run by his English teacher) about a year ago and is having a blast. So far his teacher has enlarged some of his work to hang in the library, encouraged him to take pictures for the school yearbook, and has suggested it would be a shame not invest in his talent.

At this point, my son continues to use my digital point and shoot although I have recently purchased an SLR that I am willing to loan him as he learns/grows a bit more.

Now for my questions---
    1. What is the best way to get him started in what could be a promising hobby (he tells me his professional goal is to study architecture)?
    2. Also, we do not own any photo editing software but we were thinking about getting him something along these lines for Christmas...is this a good idea or is that not really needed at this point?

Any advice you can share would be welcome.

I had a couple of kids with this profile. One dunked a nice camera into a pond, the other smashed a good lens into a rock. Unless your child is neurotically careful with electronics and glass, like me, I would get them something durable.

Post-processing software is good if they are competent to spend many patient hours learning and like computers.

As a parent I would advise keeping your investment low cost and encouraging them to read and follow courses. Trying to persuade a 13 year old to do anything other than digital is a waste of time. Most of great photography is to do with the eye - so a P&S which is built like an underwater tank would be the thing. Even better when it has a manual mode.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    for software and student discounts check out Academic Superstore....Lightroom 3 is only $89.99.........I still use and really love my Konica Minolta A2....it is a great landscape camera and I have used it for all sorts of shooting, it just isnot viable for weddings and it pused me into the DSLR realm....but for learning it would be great...a 28-200 zoom lens, a true floating focus point (which I find invaluable a lot as I hate to focus and recompose to get shots....I hated it with film cameras too but had no choice a lot of times).....it uses the larger CF cards (which I love).....you can shoot in aperture priority, shutter priority, program or full manual....and you can manual focus if one wants to.......you should be able to find the camera on ebay pretty cheaply......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    Photoshop Elements 8
    I purchased a copy of Photoshop Elements 8 at a COSTCO discount store for $50. It is an excellent program which lets a photographer do almost everything that the full Photoshop program can accomplish.

IMO, an editing program is essential to any digital photographer, and Photoshop Elements is all that most photographers need (and more than many photographers will ever need). i would opt for an Adobe product because Adobe Photoshop is the standard of the industry and much of what you learn using Elements would be transferable to the full Photoshop program.

As far as cameras go, DSLR cameras lose their value very quickly. They are like computers in this. That makes them quite a good buy on the used market. You can purchase a very decent used Canon 350D or 400D DSLR along with an 18-55mm lens at a really good price.

However, these cameras usually came with the non-Image Stabilized version of the 18-55mm kit lens and the IS version is superior in image quality. It might be a better idea to purchase a 350D or 400D body separately and a used 18-55mm IS lens separately. This should not cost a lot more than buying the camera and lens together.

Photographers are constantly upgrading their DSLR cameras and many used cameras have little wear on them.

I am a Canon user and know their products. Nikon may also have products in this range but, the selection of lenses for the entry level Nikons is quite limited.