Whiter Shade of Pale

briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
edited December 7, 2010 in People
Shot near a half open doorway (north light) with ambient light on the shadow side from another distant doorway. Included a b&w version. Any feedback appreciated.

_B195283web.jpg

_B195283webbw.jpg
"Photography is not about the thing photographed.
It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album

Comments

• CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    I think with that kind of lighting, bw always seems to add a level of interest that color does not.
    very nice.
    Chris Sowers
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    I like the way you exposed for the highlights... it's just right for me. thumb.gif In my case I do prefer the colored version here. Great shot! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    CASowers wrote: »
    I think with that kind of lighting, bw always seems to add a level of interest that color does not.
    very nice.

Yes, I agree about b&w - especially with male subjects. The shadows have a certain strength. In this case though, I preferred how the color brought out the pale skin tone that I liked. Thanks for your comments.

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    That is a very good image. Very aware posing to make the best use of the light.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • ADMIT PhotographyADMIT Photography Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    I like the B&W better! Nice lighting!!
    Facebook - Twitter
    Nikon D200, D80, SB600, nikon 50mm 1.8, nikon 18-135 3.5-4.6, nikon 70-200
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    Wow, what can I say...love them both but lean towards the B&W....
    Great job!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    The ratio of the lighting is absolutely wonderful. Your use of light helps to deliver impact. Congratulations on finding the light. I'm sure your aware that you could open the shadows up more with a reflector if desired. Even try to catch some light behind him with the reflector to add a rim light.

Take him or another subject there and think about your posing. This would be a wonderful light with an older weathered face with maybe hands up to the chin and looking into the camera for more impact.

This is also a great photo to show the correct key for the background and the clothing. Visually turn the photo upside down and see where you eye goes.........straight to the face. In so many photographs snapped here the eye bounces everywhere and never settles down in one spot.

Congrats, congrats, congrats!!
    edited December 6, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    The ratio of the lighting is absolutely wonderful. Your use of light helps to deliver impact. Congratulations on finding the light. I'm sure your aware that you could open the shadows up more with a reflector if desired. Even try to catch some light behind him with the reflector to add a rim light.

Take him or another subject there and think about your posing. This would be a wonderful light with an older weathered face with maybe hands up to the chin and looking into the camera for more impact.

This is also a great photo to show the correct key for the background and the clothing. Visually turn the photo upside down and see where you eye goes.........straight to the face. In so many photographs snapped here the eye bounces everywhere and never settles down in one spot.

Congrats, congrats, congrats!!
    Thanks, Hackbone for the great advice. Funny you should mention about returning to that place. I was scouting out some of the studios in the art building and grabbed one of my students who was kind enough to stand in front of the door. I only took some test shots for comparison but after seeing this one thought I'd better go back next week for the real thing!

edited December 6, 2010
    jiro wrote: »
    I like the way you exposed for the highlights... it's just right for me. thumb.gif In my case I do prefer the colored version here. Great shot! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Thanks, Jiro for your comments. I'm glad you liked the exposure. I used spot metering and keyed off the brightest area of the face.

edited December 6, 2010
    Thanks Icebear, Farnsworth and Rey for taking a look. I appreciate your comments. Looks like the B&W wins out.

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2010
    bw..but the color might get more interesting if your warm it up or cool it down.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2010
    Really like the B&W version, but like Qarik's suggestion about possibly cooling the color version to see what you get. It should look pretty cool, no pun intended. :D
    edited December 7, 2010
    Qarik & Darren: makes sense. I was going for that starving artist look anyway. :):
    Something like this? Feel free to edit if you see it differently.
    _B195283webcool.jpg