Brotherly love....

Flyjets1Flyjets1 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited December 8, 2010 in People
First time attempt at something more then just a snapshot of my two boys using an SB-600 through an umbrella and an SB-800 hand held through a clip-on diffuser... nothing spectacular but I like the results....

1114570930_5BhUg-L.jpg

1114561824_QWDsL-XL.jpg

1114612750_sWZJy-XL.jpg

1114676539_tRKD2-XL.jpg

Comments

• CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    classic...amazing how two kids growing up in the same house can be so different. One good, one evil...:D

Anyway on #2, I would love to see the full shot of the ED SOX jersey, cutting it off through the name is distracting. I don't know enough about lighting to critque, but this one (#2) also seems a little flat in comparison to the others.
    Great idea and it looks like they managed to have fun with it!
    Chris Sowers
  • Flyjets1Flyjets1 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    I see your point about #2... good advice...
    So which side is the "evil" one? grin.
    I'm a yanks fan like my little guy. My wife is die hard Sox with my older boy...
    It's a war zone around here during the baseball season!!!!! grin

thanks for the comments... we did have fun doing this...

CASowers wrote: »
    classic...amazing how two kids growing up in the same house can be so different. One good, one evil...:D

Anyway on #2, I would love to see the full shot of the ED SOX jersey, cutting it off through the name is distracting. I don't know enough about lighting to critque, but this one (#2) also seems a little flat in comparison to the others.
    Great idea and it looks like they managed to have fun with it!
    edited December 5, 2010
    1114583738_4LcHf-XL.jpg

1114658838_5Vp9F-XL.jpg

1114595143_jrC7C-XL.jpg
  • CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    Definitely better with the full frontal!

While not part of Red Sox Nation (I live and die with the Fightin' Phils - and have since I wore my Larry Bowa wrist bands in little league!), I must side with your wife and oldest, sorry to say...
    Chris Sowers
  • BFauskaBFauska Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    The first one in this second set is a really fun shot. I think that if you had 1 more flash as a backlight of some kind (hair or other) it would really make the boys stand out from the backdrop, right now their dark hats fade into the blackness.

As a Seattle native I've always been (fruitlessly) fond of the Mariners, but I did manage to make it to a game at the old Yankee stadium before the demo and it was the last game between the Sox and the Yankees at that stadium, big turnout from both sides and lots of passion. There aren't really any MLB teams near enough Seattle to get that rivalry going.
    edited December 6, 2010
    Thanks for the great suggestions.. you are right... i do need some sort of hair light. Time to spend some more $$'s! grin...

\\
    BFauska wrote: »
    The first one in this second set is a really fun shot. I think that if you had 1 more flash as a backlight of some kind (hair or other) it would really make the boys stand out from the backdrop, right now their dark hats fade into the blackness.

As a Seattle native I've always been (fruitlessly) fond of the Mariners, but I did manage to make it to a game at the old Yankee stadium before the demo and it was the last game between the Sox and the Yankees at that stadium, big turnout from both sides and lots of passion. There aren't really any MLB teams near enough Seattle to get that rivalry going.
  • TrackerTracker Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    Lot's to like. Looks like a couple of pretty good young men.

In the first set, #2 and the second set #3, what appears to be the shadow from the bigger brother on the younger brother's face is not so good to me. Maybe a reflector would help if you're doing single flash source?
    On second set, #3, the older brother's left hand gripping the younger's jersey is a little odd, unless he's twisting a knot in little brother. :)
    (it would be helpful to number your photos for critique feedback)
    edited December 8, 2010
    You are right about the shadows. With just two speedlights and one umbrella
    It was hard to fill all of the dark areas. Plus, being my first attempt
    I wasn't sure about light placement... These suggestions help. I've watched
    A gazzillion video lessons by Joe McNally and others, but until
    You try on your own you don't realize how many "torches" there are.
    I'm lucky in that these two get along pretty well, but they surely tested my
    Patience 10 minutes into it...
    I guess I need one or two more lights!!! B&H here 8 I come!!! Grin
    Tracker wrote: »
    Lot's to like. Looks like a couple of pretty good young men.

In the first set, #2 and the second set #3, what appears to be the shadow from the bigger brother on the younger brother's face is not so good to me. Maybe a reflector would help if you're doing single flash source?
    On second set, #3, the older brother's left hand gripping the younger's jersey is a little odd, unless he's twisting a knot in little brother. :)
    (it would be helpful to number your photos for critique feedback)