editing in CS3 from LR3

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited December 7, 2010 in Finishing School
I sometimes edit a photo in LR3, right-click it and take it to CS3 to finish it. I tried to do that today and CS3 opens but my photo never shows up in it. Any ideas why this is happening?
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    Elaine wrote: »
    I sometimes edit a photo in LR3, right-click it and take it to CS3 to finish it. I tried to do that today and CS3 opens but my photo never shows up in it. Any ideas why this is happening?

never mind...I think the problem is I'm shooting with a Canon 7D which won't talk to the version of Camera Raw and CS3 that I have. :cry
    Elaine

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited December 6, 2010
    I believe that LR lets you import files as DNG, which CS3 can read.
    edited December 6, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    I believe that LR lets you import files as DNG, which CS3 can read.

As far as I can tell, the DNG converter and Camera Raw updates for CS3 stopped at version 4.6. The Canon 7D needs at least version 5.6 that came with CS4. I've been getting away with CS3 because I was using a Canon 40D until about 6 weeks ago.
    Elaine

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 6, 2010
    Do your Raw edits in LR3, and just send a tiff ( with your Raw edits ) to CS3 for local editing.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 6, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Do your Raw edits in LR3, and just send a tiff ( with your Raw edits ) to CS3 for local editing.

Do I export as a tiff and then open that tiff in CS3 or can I take a tiff directly from LR3?
    Elaine

• RobSylvanRobSylvan Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    Try going to Preferences > General, then click the Reset all warning dialogs button. Then select a raw photo and send it to Photoshop. You should be prompted with the option to Render with Lightroom (or some wording to that effect) or Open Anyway. Choose Render with Lightroom and a copy will be created by Lightroom, saved to the same folder as the original, then opened in CS3.

If you choose Open Anyway Lightroom sends the data to the ACR plugin, which is what I think is the cause the photo not appearing in CS3 previously.
    edited December 6, 2010
    RobSylvan wrote: »
    Try going to Preferences > General, then click the Reset all warning dialogs button. Then select a raw photo and send it to Photoshop. You should be prompted with the option to Render with Lightroom (or some wording to that effect) or Open Anyway. Choose Render with Lightroom and a copy will be created by Lightroom, saved to the same folder as the original, then opened in CS3.

If you choose Open Anyway Lightroom sends the data to the ACR plugin, which is what I think is the cause the photo not appearing in CS3 previously.

Yay! I was choosing Open Anyway because that's what I'd always done before. I don't totally "get it" but choosing Render with Lightroom has allowed it to open in CS3. Thank you much!
    Elaine

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    FWIW, Elaine, I use LR3+CS3+7d without a problem. When I right-click on the image to select "edit as" I ave .tiff as my default format and it opens right up in PS. It IS processor intensive though - takes quite a lot longer than with files from previous cameras!
    edited December 6, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    FWIW, Elaine, I use LR3+CS3+7d without a problem. When I select "edit as" I use .tiff as my format and it goes right into PS without any problems.

Where are you selecting "edit as"? I see "Edit in" and then I choose CS3. I wasn't clear on where the .tiff option was?

And that's my other problem...computer space! I just shot raw on the 7D for the first time yesterday and I'm outta room! My hubby is fixing that for me today, though.
    Elaine

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    Sorry - edit in - correct.

To set it up

Library module>prferences>external editing tab

You can choose your format there.

Yeah, space is a problem. I buy external hard drives when they're cheap because I sure need them with these humungoid files!
    edited December 7, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Sorry - edit in - correct.

To set it up

Library module>prferences>external editing tab

You can choose your format there.

Yeah, space is a problem. I buy external hard drives when they're cheap because I sure need them with these humungoid files!

Ah, yes. OK. I believe I had set it up for psd a long time ago. I don't know enough to know if/why a tiff or a psd would be better? I went ahead and used the psd file for now.

Thanks for the help! Glad to know you're still using CS3. I'd rather not spend $200 on an upgrade to CS5 right now.
    Elaine