Options

Tips for my Yosemite Hike?

HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited December 8, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'll give it a go. I only live a few hours drive from Yosemite and I've only been once. So, I'm going to go this next weekend on a simple day hike. Its just me and my camera.

At this point I'm planning on just doing half the Yosemite valley loop, which is about 6.5 miles. I'm wondering if anybody has any experience either with this hike, or simply some tips for taking pictures on such a hike. I'm figuring its probably going to be cold with a chance of some rain.

I'm taking my 5D mark II, and a couple of lenses, trying to travel light. I've never really shot in cold weather, are there condensation concerns?

Anyway, I'm excited to go. I don't even care really how bad the conditions are as long as they are something I can weather, and just enjoy being outside.

Thanks for any tips!
Camera: Nikon D4
Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited December 6, 2010
    A chance of rain outside of the park can turn to a chance of snow at elevation. In addition to to warm clothes, plan on taking chains--if you get into the park and it starts to snow as you may get stuck in the valley without them (mud and snow tires with all or 4 wheel drive is usually not a problem).

I think winter in the park is always nice. Things to see are the waterfalls (Yosemite/Bridalveil), Tunnel View, El Capitan Meadows (and the rock face as well), the river (look for snow on the rocks, interesting pools, etc). On your walk, you will see a lot of stuff around you. Don't forget to look down once and a while--there are some really cool plants and rocks at your feet.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    Given the lens lineup in your sig, I would probably only bring the 24-105. Not too much of a need for the others, especially as a walk around. Lots of beautiful spots in the valley, especially on the valley loop trail. I haven't been up this week, but last week there was plenty of snow on the ground and still leaves on the trees. At this time of the year, the light on the rocks is best early in the morning or just before sunset. Also, clearing or passing storms make for excellent shots from tunnel view / valley view. El Cap meadow is probably on of my favorite spots.

Regarding chains: if there is a chance of snow, you need to carry chains. NPS will stop you to verify that you have chains in your car. I don't think the storm this weekend is supposed to be particularly heavy, but I have seen NPS require chains even on 4x4s.
  • Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    I was checking the weather forecast and it was looking pretty good to me, sunny to partly sunny. I've not heard about a storm. Is there a more accurate weather update I should be looking at?

Thanks for the tips!
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited December 8, 2010
    Helvegr wrote: »
    I was checking the weather forecast and it was looking pretty good to me, sunny to partly sunny. I've not heard about a storm. Is there a more accurate weather update I should be looking at?

Thanks for the tips!

www.weather.com and use "Yosemite National Park" as your location. Right now, it's raining in the Bay Area with Snow Showers in the Yosemite area. Looks like the weather forecast is for clear and sunny weather this weekend.

HOWEVER, in the Sierras, the weather can change quickly--it can be sunny one minute and raining or snowing the next and at any time of the year. You definitely want to be prepared.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?