Kapalua and Hawea Point, Maui

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited December 7, 2010 in Landscapes
A couple of more from Maui, this time at Kapalua Beach and then over to Hawea Point. Beautiful area just north of Kaanapali.

#1 Beach Cliff. I loved the colors that you could bring out of these cliffs using HDR even mid-morning.

1112569056_ZRWTg-L.jpg

#2 Splash. I wanted to get a sense of the stronger waves and knew I was going to get wet to get what I wanted. I shot this at 16mm focal length so it's pretty close. Grabbed the shot, turned, held the camera as high over my head as high as I could, and took the wave right in the back. But I like what I got.

1075224988_zEHJ9-L.jpg

#3 Waves in B&W. I just like how B&W brings out the wave details

1112569160_HFoHY-L.jpg

Others can be found here...

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    Tom-

Love the colors in #1. Maui is just beautiful. I was there 2 years ago, would love to go back now that I have a little more photography knowledge.

Stephanie
  • 50D50D Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    yep ! I love the colors in the water in #1 !

we went to kauai in 06,Maui in 08,and will be doing both in one trip next summer,I've got better camera gear now than I had for the first two trips,so I am looking forward to making better shots.

your pics are very nice :)

this was my Maui souvenir,on my left leg.

5239325827_c7e1797ff8_b.jpg
    Canon 50D_Canon 24-105L_Sigma 30mm EX_Sigma 10-20mm EX 4-5.6_Canon 430EX II_Manfrotto 190XPROB/324RC2
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2010
    Nice job, Tom. the first one is nice and colorful, I might warm up the temperature of that rock as it looks to have a blue cast, and it has a slight halo from the HDR. #2 shows that if you want to get the best shots you have to get wet!
  • goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2010
    Your shots make me want to go there tomorrow! Definitely worth checking out your entire gallery!! thumb.gif
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2010
    Tom-

Love the colors in #1. Maui is just beautiful. I was there 2 years ago, would love to go back now that I have a little more photography knowledge.

Stephanie

Thanks Stephanie. It is a beautiful place.
    50D wrote: »
    yep ! I love the colors in the water in #1 !

we went to kauai in 06,Maui in 08,and will be doing both in one trip next summer,I've got better camera gear now than I had for the first two trips,so I am looking forward to making better shots.

your pics are very nice :)

Thanks for the comments. You're braver than I am with the tattoo!
    edited December 7, 2010
    chrismoore wrote: »
    Nice job, Tom. the first one is nice and colorful, I might warm up the temperature of that rock as it looks to have a blue cast, and it has a slight halo from the HDR. #2 shows that if you want to get the best shots you have to get wet!

You're right on the color and the halo. I'll need to go back and adjust.

And getting wet wasn't a problem at all as long as the camera was dry.

Thanks, Chris.
    edited December 7, 2010
    Your shots make me want to go there tomorrow! Definitely worth checking out your entire gallery!! thumb.gif

Thanks for the comment...
  • EnlightphotoEnlightphoto Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2010
    Great feeling on that wave crash! Talk about 'in my face'. Hope your camera stayed dry.