Options

why was the refinery closed?

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited December 30, 2010 in Dgrin Forum Support
I know I am not alone as to why the refinery was closed?

More to the point why it was closed without any warning??
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 7, 2010
    There's a sticky in the forum that explains it.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2010
    that is not a sticky it is simply the last post made by Mr. TO closing the forum........i found rather rude as I was coming back to give some advice and WHAM it is closed......i wonder if those that were seeking help will post again on the same pix they were wanting help with or will they just go to another community for help........this is the 2nd time for this to happen.....but I am only a person that tries to help the ones asking for it...it is not my forum nor my community....so it should not be my concern I guess.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 7, 2010
    The refinery is closed, the explanation is in the link. Those seeking critique are encouraged to do so in the other forums.

I'm sorry that you feel the way you do about it closing.
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    The refinery is closed, the explanation is in the link. Those seeking critique are encouraged to do so in the other forums.

In all fairness, a simple statement like "The Refinery has lived past its prime", doesn't really constitute much of an explanation. I'd like to hear a little more of the thought behind it myself, for curiosities sake- too few posts? Too much moderator work per post? Too little feedback? Too little good criticism? Preference to direct critical traffic back to theme forums? A philosophical change of intent?
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2010
    kolibri wrote: »
    In all fairness, a simple statement like "The Refinery has lived past its prime", doesn't really constitute much of an explanation. I'd like to hear a little more of the thought behind it myself, for curiosities sake- too few posts? Too much moderator work per post? Too little feedback? Too little good criticism? Preference to direct critical traffic back to theme forums? A philosophical change of intent?

There's really no discussion beyond what's already been said. I'm sorry, but as moderators, our decision is final.
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    There's really no discussion beyond what's already been said. I'm sorry, but as moderators, our decision is final.

Where in my post do you get the idea I'm disputing your decision, or arguing against it? As an occasional forum user I like to understand the groundrules, and since these forums would be somewhat irrelevant without users I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a more complete explanation as to why some changes are made.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2010
    kolibri wrote: »
    Where in my post do you get the idea I'm disputing your decision, or arguing against it? As an occasional forum user I like to understand the groundrules, and since these forums would be somewhat irrelevant without users I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a more complete explanation as to why some changes are made.

I made no assumptions. I did make a statement and that was there's really no more discussion on this subject.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 13, 2010
    The mods were unanimous in deciding to close the Refinery, though we may have had different reasons. As Ian said, the decision is not a matter for discussion. I think most people who have been around here for a number of years and have witnessed the evolution of the forum probably understand the reasons. But FWIW, here's my own personal take on why it didn't work. I stress that I am only speaking for myself.

The Refinery (originally, the Whipping Post) was conceived as a place where people would post only their very best work and receive the very best criticism. This was a nice idea, but it never worked out. For a time, we tried to police it by moderation, but this was burdensome for the mods and managed to offend some n00bs who never bothered to read the forum rules, as well as some long-time members who could have known better. I think the crux of the matter is that we were trying to create a sort of elite forum, and that simply didn't fit with the overall Dgrin values of inclusiveness and being nice to new members. The basic values won, and I have no problem with that.

In the end, it seemed to me that the Refinery was not notably different than any of the other Shots forums, either in the overall quality of the posted pics or in the quality of the critiques that were given. So, in my mind, there was no particular reason to keep it around. There are tons of good pics and good critiques to be found on Dgrin, so I don't really see closing the refinery as a loss in any way. YMMV, of course, but so it goes.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    A funny anecdote. My first DGrin post was in the Whipping Post. DavidTo knocked it back as I'd said something in my comments about the image that I wasn't sure if this was my best yet. There was also a one-per-week limit on posts. So, I was a bit miffed given that a little textual equivocating kept me from my first time sharing an image on the internet.

I was also one of the people that raised a minor stink when the WP was closed and then wrote the missive "What I want from the Refinery" when it reopened. The irony is that the Street forum opened around the same time and I never put an image in The Refinery for comment. I'd found what I needed in the main forums.
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2010
    I slept on this one after I found it last night. I really don't know that any other way would have been any better in this case. If one comes out and makes an announcement, it would create the same firestorm from the same parties as it did this way.

Richard's comments make much sense to me. I was also one of those who was a bit taken back last year (was is last year?) when the old WP closed. Even after having been part of a "successful" campaign to bring in The Refinery, I really got too busy to participate, and also I admit, pretty bored enough with what was in there that I found myself nosing around in the other sections where there really was a lot of great stuff..

So now after a year, I really think that an image will more qualified and focused critique if it is put up for c&c in the section where it most applies. For instance, I just don't believe that our best wedding experts ever really hung out in the Refinery.

So now I wonder it there might be a new section being created, and what it might be??
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2010
    HoofClix wrote: »

So now I wonder it there might be a new section being created, and what it might be??

Not to derail, but I hope the next section be of food photography! Just saying.

I think adding C&C in the title in a specific forum is much better than a general "crit" forum. As Hoofclix says in his example, if I want C&C on my images from weddings, I would be posting and asking for crits in the wedding forum. Since that is where most of the wedding photographers here predominantly hang out to check out new work and crit.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    That makes sense, I know I was one of those people. I think lots of us wondered why, most of us just out of curiosity...
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    I was rather taken aback by the tone of the earlier comments given the normal tone of dgrin.

Thanks for letting us know. The feedback is important to us.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    roletterolette Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    i was rather taken aback by the tone of the earlier comments given the normal tone of dgrin.

+1
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 30, 2010
    I was rather taken aback by the tone of the earlier comments given the normal tone of dgrin.

I also was surprised by the take it or leave it-If ya don't like it hit the road attitude.