Configuring Hard Drives - New System

AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
edited December 7, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Okay guys, I'm getting tired of my Slow PC so this is what I've bought to fix it, i7 processor, 12G RAM, 4 2TB hdd, 2 300G RAPTOR drives. I also have a high point 4 port raid card.

Here is what I'm thinking, 4 2tb drives either in RAID 5 or RAID 10. This will be my primary image storage device.

2 300G Raptor drives, stripped for the OS and for things like my background images for green screen shooting, etc. And storage of the Lightroom catalog (on a seperate partition to mitigate frangmentation.)

I'm thinking of adding another 1TB drive just for Photoshop to use as scratch (give it 200G and partion the rest for storage of things seldom used.)

How does all that sound or should I be doing something different. I use Lightroom and FXHome PhotoKey alot, Photoshop gets some use, but not alot.

I think I'm also going to add an 8G or 16G memory card (a fast one) for ready boost as well.

Thoughts?
Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2010
    Okay guys, I'm getting tired of my Slow PC so this is what I've bought to fix it, i7 processor, 12G RAM, 4 2TB hdd, 2 300G RAPTOR drives. I also have a high point 4 port raid card.
    I like it!

Here is what I'm thinking, 4 2tb drives either in RAID 5 or RAID 10. This will be my primary image storage device.
    Everything I read says RAID 5 or 10, is the thing to do. You have speed, redundancy and storage.

2 300G Raptor drives, stripped for the OS and for things like my background images for green screen shooting, etc. And storage of the Lightroom catalog (on a seperate partition to mitigate frangmentation.)
    I would think you'd simply use your array for all this, save the OS. Which for me means you could get really, really slim on the GB and go for the Speed, such as with 2 SSD in raid 0 or two 6GB/S HDD in Raid 0. One thing to remember about SSD's though, in RAID they do not allow TRIM support. TRIM support is supposed to keep them healthy. Also not the 6GB/S versus 3GB/s on the HDD. Newer MOBO's support that with the i7.

I'm thinking of adding another 1TB drive just for Photoshop to use as scratch (give it 200G and partion the rest for storage of things seldom used.)

I admit to not knowing how much room PS uses for scratch, but I will tell you I got into a situation the other day during a motion graphic render ( 45 seconds long), that ate up well over 100GB of scratch space.

I think I'm also going to add an 8G or 16G memory card (a fast one) for ready boost as well.

Please explain this idea further. I have no idea what you would get out of this setup?
    tom wise
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2010
    Ditch the raptor and go with a couple solid state drives. A single fast ssd drive will be much faster then the two raptor drives, or any hard drive raid (and cheaper), but two ssd drives in raid will be blazing. Also a single faster ssd drives will be much faster then a bunch of cheaper ssd in raid.
    Also with two fast ssd drives, depending on the drive speed, you will probably be topping out with two drives in raid 0, so using more drives might be overkill
    The two raptors will run around 120-170 mbs read/wright, while a single OCZ Vertex will cost around $300 and runs 270-280 mbs read/wright
    Todd - My Photos