Options

Darn dragons

mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
edited September 13, 2005 in Holy Macro
Tried to get some dragons...but my patience does wear thin after a while, These were shot with Canon100 f2.8 macro--and I wish I had opted for the 180mm macro, these darn things won't let me get close enough and the increased working distance distance would help. Have considered getting the 250 or 500 close up lens for my 70-200is..anyone have any experience with that combo? Do those numbers relate to their focusing distance? IE: does the 500 focus at 1/2 meter and the 250 at 1/4 meter?

Dragons at rest on ?Pampus? Grass

35719574-L.jpg

35719577-L.jpg

35719771-L.jpg

Some type of Fly ?robber?

35719786-L.jpg

And perhaps a future butterfly

35719848-L.jpg

Thanks for looking and allowing me to share my efforts..........Mereimage

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2005
    Nice work...thumb.gif
  • Options
    Humungus wrote:
    Nice work...thumb.gif
    Thanks Gus...............................Mereimage
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    Nice shots Mereimage. I agree that it is hard to get that close with the 100mm and I have tried to use my 70-200IS but have also run into the minimum focus distance problem also. I have no experience with the close up lens so saddly I cannot help you there, but I am interested in the answer becuase that would be something I would probably use quite often.

I do enjoy your shots, the first one is great, I can never get the dragons with the white tips to sit still, they seem very aggitated by me. Are these uncropped? If so I don't think you had any problem at all getting close to these guys.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    gluwater wrote:
    Nice shots Mereimage. I agree that it is hard to get that close with the 100mm and I have tried to use my 70-200IS but have also run into the minimum focus distance problem also. I have no experience with the close up lens so saddly I cannot help you there, but I am interested in the answer becuase that would be something I would probably use quite often.

I do enjoy your shots, the first one is great, I can never get the dragons with the white tips to sit still, they seem very aggitated by me. Are these uncropped? If so I don't think you had any problem at all getting close to these guys.

Thanks Glu ...........As I remember these are modestly cropped mostly for comp.....Not sure as the orig. are at home........... I did my best to fill as much of the frame as poss......took a couple hours to get a few keepers... a longer macro would definitely help allthough the flash might look harsher/more directed on the longer lens
    I did like the purple/black eyes on that fly .................My bro-Pathfinder has a 500close-up lens in77mm mount(for 70-200is) which he'll let me try....maybe I can post a few shots with it sometime in the next couple of weeks..........Thanks for stopping by. ...........................................Mereimage