Options

FS: Acratech V2 Ballhead--LN

JakeEbersoleJakeEbersole Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
edited December 8, 2010 in The Kitchen Sink
This was given to me as a gift by a member on NikonCafe, but as I already have an entire Manfrotto set up, I do not need this. It's only been mounted on my tripod legs once. It's in perfect condition. However, what I believe is the tension knob is very tight. I'm a little leery about turning it too hard, as I don't want to break it. This does NOT come with the mounting plate. This sells new at B&H for $299 without the plate. I'm looking to get about $260, shipped and insured CONUS. Paypal only! I don't tack on extra for PP fees.

I have 100% feedback on Ebay and NikonCafe. I will absolutely not scam you. If you want to talk to me on the phone, I have no problem with that.

This is a USA sale only. I will ship once the money is in my bank account.

PM me if you're interested.

Thanks,
Jake

I am temporarily suspending the sale. The benefactor is sending me an L-Bracket to try out the head. We'll see if I like it.

Comments

• Options
    scottgee1scottgee1 Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    There are three knobs. Of the two that control the ball, the smaller one is the tension knob, the larger is for locking.

When you unscrew the locking knob, the head should 'flop', i.e., be completely loose. If it's not, the tension knob needs to be loosened. How much tension you apply is a matter of load and personal preference, but dogged down is not a good idea -- that's the job of the locking knob. I'd recommend grasping the tension knob with a grippy material of some sort to loosen it up. Pliers/spanner would work but you'll want to protect the metal to metal contact.

There seem to be two distinct approaches to ballhead use. There's the "get it into position and dog it down" and the "just enough tension to hold and still allow repositioning". Sounds like the previous owner subscribed to the first. I used to but after some experimentation, I joined the second because I found it allowed me to work faster.

BTW, a gift?? Sheesh! I need forum friends like that! :D

hth/ScottGee1
  • Options
    JakeEbersoleJakeEbersole Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    scottgee1 wrote: »
    There are three knobs. Of the two that control the ball, the smaller one is the tension knob, the larger is for locking.

When you unscrew the locking knob, the head should 'flop', i.e., be completely loose. If it's not, the tension knob needs to be loosened. How much tension you apply is a matter of load and personal preference, but dogged down is not a good idea -- that's the job of the locking knob. I'd recommend grasping the tension knob with a grippy material of some sort to loosen it up. Pliers/spanner would work but you'll want to protect the metal to metal contact.

There seem to be two distinct approaches to ballhead use. There's the "get it into position and dog it down" and the "just enough tension to hold and still allow repositioning". Sounds like the previous owner subscribed to the first. I used to but after some experimentation, I joined the second because I found it allowed me to work faster.

BTW, a gift?? Sheesh! I need forum friends like that! :D

hth/ScottGee1

Thanks for the info. I know absolutely nothing about Acrotech. I'm cheap, so I went with Manfrotto. :D

I was surprised to get it as a gift. The benefactor wanted to remain anonymous so they sent it to a fellow photographer friend of mine. It was a total surprise to me. A very pleasant surprise, I might add.