Olson House in Maine - C&C Please

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited December 8, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I'm sure some of you have seen and photographed the Olson House in Maine, where Andrew Wyeth painted some of his most famous works, including "Christina's World." We were lucky enough to be able to tour through the house and grounds in early October. I spent about an hour shooting inside and out. Here are some of my favorites. Any C&C is appreciated.

Thanks,
Lauren

1. The Olson House from the front
1119086116_XEURS-L.jpg

2. House from the barn end
1119084868_g9mJA-L.jpg

3. Alvaro's hat (Christina's brother)
1118133106_oXEUy-L.jpg

4. Basket of apples - processed with Topaz Adjust to get some detail in the shadows and basket
1118131299_CeBEY-L.jpg

5. Old Chair - B&W conversion in Aperture 3.0
1118129085_iwpQx-L.jpg

6. Window where Wyeth painted some of his work; I like this but reaction at home was lukewarm so please give me some good feedback. FYI, shot at 1 EST looking out north window with all natural light
1118127774_GreR5-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    Hi Lauren,

I'm Impressed. I think this body of work is some of your very best.

Nice documentation on the house. The interior shots really shine. I would give the hat a little more room in the framing....perhaps step back just a tad. I find #6 very appealing but there's probably going to be mixed reactions to it. I would like to see that one a little more close-up. Still keep the window in its relative position....but putting a tad more emphasis on what you see out the window.

Overall.....very well done.clap.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • NewEnglandMomentsNewEnglandMoments Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    I think its a great series... I especially appreciate the window shot you wanted feedback on, I think its Fantastic! Beautiful Compositions in all... it amazes me to see shots like these from a place that draws tourists.. You can always tell a Photographers Work from the general publics... I see a Photographer here very easily!
    Please Do Not Edit My Images/or Use Without Permission..
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    As a veteran of many touring vacations I know how difficult it is to capture interesting photographs on a tour that happens at whatever time it happens, in whatever weather is there at the time. You worked out some very nice compositions and used the light you were given very well. I do like the window (6) but I am looking at it early in the morning with daylight hitting my monitor. At first I didn't notice the light on the wall on the left and the composition looked contrived but looking more carefully I see the patch of light on the wall I think it is terrific. You might consider brightening the left side just a bit. Giving each image a different treatment also adds interest. I like the apples, the chair, and the hat. The first one seems over contrasty but I know that there are unpainted old structures that get that dark so maybe that's all it is.

regards
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    I like your compositions Lauren. The last three are really good thumb.gifthumb