Options

Ebay???

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grinsNorwayPosts: 0 Major grins
edited August 9, 2011 in Flea Market
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    i have always been lucky, just use some common sence, and be prepared to wait three weeks for shipping from china. Your purchases are protected with paypal and even ebay itself now.

happy evilbuying
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    I think it`s a matter of having luck on your side. Just buy from high rated sellers.
    I buy a lot of stuff there :D
    Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    If you're still wary, you can always select US sellers only or sellers withing a certain distance to your physical location.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    i've got a lot of my gear off of ebay. Just got to be smart about buying stuff, I suppose.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    It is a matter of doing your homework....I will mark (watch) an item...... contact the seller and ask questions ....if it takes a long time to get an answer I won't bid or buy.....

My buying on ebay is done with buy it now (99% of the time) if the price is good...I hate to have to bid and watch.....if it is a bid only item....I wait for the last few minutes to start bidding...

I always try to get sellers to expound on their return policy if it is not spelled out in plain english and I will not buy from anyone that says NO RETURNS or REFUNDS.... to me that is a red flag...........I have bought several items from china and all has been well, for them I give them a week to respond to my PM's as they may have to get a translator to read the email and then respond......but so far all has been well........any probs I have had was dealt with thru PayPal and ebay without a hitch.

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins NorwayPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
  • Options
    jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    If you go to Ken Rockwell's site he has a very good tutorial on how to buy anything on ebay (specially photography gear). I followed his technique and even on my first try I was able to win the bid at a very good price. Just try to narrow down your seller selection not to go lower then 99.98 positive feedback. If you have a paypal account your bid and purchase is covered by ebay paypal protection. I bought my Nikon D70 from ebay and I couldn't be happier.
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    windrider86windrider86 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    I buy a lot of stuff from Ebay and havent had any problems. I do check to see if they have had bad reviews prior to buying and make I've read all the fine print
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    It can also help if you go in knowing common problems in the item you're trying to buy, like a squealing shutter on old Canons for example.
  • Options
    ABSABS Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Ebay
    I have bought/sold over 400 xactions in eBay for 13 years and been STUNG only twice. PayPal rescued me both times. On my FIRST bid I THOUGHT I was bidding on an item when it was on only a site TO BUY that item. I learned quickly to READ carefully!!!!! clap.gif

They now have no fee charged for "buy it now" and other various fee changes. Probably to get NEW business!!!!!!
    ABS
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    If you buy from 99% or higher rated sellers, you're fine. Shipping from China does take weeks.

However, I've found eBay to have higher prices than other places. You can save money by buying on buy-and-sell boards (just use common sense, and be wary) or used online stores.
  • Options
    curlycurly Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 28, 2011
    I buy and sell on Ebay quite a bit myself, but occasionally prices can get high. The bidders can really get carried away too. I recently watched someone buy a Canon 430ex ii flash for $300. They were selling new ones elsewhere (with USA warranty) for $284 w/free shipping. Don't get carried away with the bidding. Pick a price you are willing to pay and don't go over that.
  • Options
    DelCanDelCan Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 2, 2011
    I have bought and sold over 300 items on Ebay. I got burnt twice, but in the end I never suffered a monetary loss. I stick with feedbacks of 97% and higher. I'm leary of a new person (like I am on here). I look at each negative feedback post. Sometimes it's a buyer that's in the wrong (expected too much, etc.). Never buy out of the U.S. Be careful of knock offs. Be careful of software and memory cards. Know what an item is worth before you bid on it. Don't run a bid up until the end. Read the description very carefully.

That's all I can think of at the moment. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins NorwayPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    Here is my two cents worth: I buy from B&H, Adorama, kebbel & Schuchat, other local stores and occasionally from Digital Grin posters.

Every time I have surfed through Ebay, I haven't seen any prices that would justify the risk. Pay Pay doesn't always cover you like you think.

Especially higher end gear. If I buy from a certified dealer, like the ones I listed the prices are normally the same or LOWER. There is no risk the seller is sitting in a dark basement self medicating with herbal remedies, or one of those fine Brooklyn establishments with the unbelievable ratings.

Basically I haven't seen any savings, and when I purchase from a known entity I am secure as I can be.

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2011
    Sam, I got my d700 for 1800, brand new from Ebay.. then, my 70-200 Nikkor for 760.. I would say that was a sizable savings example. Am I wrong?

It just sucks that one has to spend quite a bit of time, looking and waiting for a good price to come up.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    Foques wrote: »
    Sam, I got my d700 for 1800, brand new from Ebay.. then, my 70-200 Nikkor for 760.. I would say that was a sizable savings example. Am I wrong?

It just sucks that one has to spend quite a bit of time, looking and waiting for a good price to come up.

Ummm... I call it "right place, right time" and it seems you managed that a couple times at the least. thumb.gif It's a matter of keeping your eyes open, knowing what you're looking for and willing to pull the trigger when your gut tells you to. Patience can also be a virtue... that doesn't sux.

I've also managed to have this happen quite a few times. It can be a good feeling and beneficial in regards to finances and/or gear...
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2011

I have no idea I don't know a lot about Nikon and the product line.

But I did find B&H price for a d700 is $1,199, so $1,800 doesn't sound like a deal.

B&H listed the Nicon AF-S Nikor 70-200mm f2.8 ED VR at $2,289, so if this is the correct model you probably did get a steal, literally.

Sam
    Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens was listed at $2,289.00, so if you got a new one
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    I have no idea I don't know a lot about Nikon and the product line.

But I did find B&H price for a d700 is $1,199, so $1,800 doesn't sound like a deal.

B&H listed the Nicon AF-S Nikor 70-200mm f2.8 ED VR at $2,289, so if this is the correct model you probably did get a steal, literally.

Sam
    Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens was listed at $2,289.00, so if you got a new one
    Sam that was more than likley a D7000 not a D700
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2011
    jwear wrote: »
    Sam that was more than likley a D7000 not a D700

I just rechecked and you are right. I told you I don't know much about the Nikon product line. :D

B&H lists this camera at $2,700, so if it was new, at $1,800 it smells a little fishy. If it was used I have no idea, but does sound like a good price.

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    The d700 was brand new, only issue was that it shipped from China...

70-200 is VR1, I couldn't justify getting the VRII, but it was still a good deal.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    Please don't get me wrong I am glad your happy.

For me I would be concerned about the warranty. Will Nikon honor the warranty here in the US for a camera bought overseas?

AS I said in the beginning I am a lot more comfortable buying from an known entity where I have recourse.

Quick example: Many years ago I bought a 70-200 mm 2.8 L lens from Keeble & Shuchat and the next day left on a trip. The lens stopped working after two days. Thirty days later after my return I took it to Keeble & Shuchat where they replaced it on the spot. Had I bought it from Ebay source I doubt they would have the ability to do anything except refer you to the Mfg assuming the warranty was good in the US.

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    Sam, you know I always find your feedback extremely informative, and you've taught me many many things, but on this part you are off.

Yes, you open a possibility to this, but it is all easily discoverable. And, yes, Nikon covers their product no matter where they were purchased. I've seen this three times thus far.
    I definitely understand what you are saying, but it is a concern that isn't really a deal breaker should the buyer be willing to do a little research before placing a bid.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2011
    Sam, you know I always find your feedback extremely informative, and you've taught me many many things, but on this part you are off.

Yes, you open a possibility to this, but it is all easily discoverable. And, yes, Nikon covers their product no matter where they were purchased. I've seen this three times thus far.
    I definitely understand what you are saying, but it is a concern that isn't really a deal breaker should the buyer be willing to do a little research before placing a bid.

Foques,

Off!!....Off......me?? :D

Yes I could easily be off on this, and I could be persuaded to alter my view, but I see this as my personnel opinion, not advice or anything concrete others should follow, just points to consider.

And yes I have read, and talked to many who use Ebay all the time and are happy..................maybe your post and experiences are nudging me into change.ne_nau.gif

But you also need to consider I don't blog, blug, tweeter, text on a voice machine, face book, Google love, or listen to rap. :D

Sam

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2011
    Some ebay dealers offer returns, some don't. Same with warranty. I think it's a matter of peace of mind... you can pay a little extra to get gear from established stores like Sam listed, or you can save some money by buying from someone on ebay who doesn't offer a warranty, or from a buy and sell board, or even from Craigslist. It's a risk/reward thing.
  • Options
    BrentCPhotoBrentCPhoto Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 9, 2011

Was just curious Foques, this is purely for my knowledge. You say that Nikon honors warranties no matter where they are purchased even if its not from an authorized dealer? I'm just a little skeptical in that whenever I even buy a fresh Nikon product from b&h i thought you had to have the extra warranty card in 10 days after purchase to get the 5 years of protection? And i've read in forums that you have to send the receipt of purchase along in with the lens if issues arise? What kind of experiences have you had, I'm just curious because I'd like to know a little more about Nikons ACTUAL warranty process.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    Well, I had Nikon service my d300s, 70-200 VRI and my d40.
    all three items were purchased on ebay; I had screenshots of the ebay ad at the time (stating that items were new), and my pay pal receipts.
    That was more than enough to get my 300s adjusted, 70-200 cleaned, calibrated and fixed, and mirror replaced on d40.

That's all i know about their "actual" process.
    My Site
    My Facebook