From The Barnyard..

NewEnglandMomentsNewEnglandMoments Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited December 8, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Thanks for commenting
Please Do Not Edit My Images/or Use Without Permission..

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    As a dedicated barn shooter myself, I too have sadly observed the demise of an untold number of these structures. As opposed to your stated feelings, though, I feel compelled to now, more than ever, increase my efforts to record their existence. Old barns are, as you imply, a fading element of the farm scene.....we better shoot them while we can.

This is a wonderful set of barn shots you have shown here.thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • NewEnglandMomentsNewEnglandMoments Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    As a dedicated barn shooter myself, I too have sadly observed the demise of an untold number of these structures. As opposed to your stated feelings, though, I feel compelled to now, more than ever, increase my efforts to record their existence. Old barns are, as you imply, a fading element of the farm scene.....we better shoot them while we can.

This is a wonderful set of barn shots you have shown here.thumb.gif
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    All your shots, Sir are simply great! I understand your sentiment. I, too have seen that happened to the county where we first lived in. Majority of the barns are just there to rot. Sadly, I didn't have any DSLR yet at that time to record their condition digitally. :cry
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    I think you noted in another post that you no longer live in Vermont. The tube barns didn't hold up very well in Vermont weather and the technology has changed the landscape again. We now have pole barns. Large one story, open structures with soft removable sides to let in lots of bacteria-killing oxygen. The floors are concrete with soft rubber matting that can be easily hosed down. The old 3 story barn now has no useful function on a dairy farm. It used to at least serve to store hay, but hay is now stored outside in plastic-covered bales. The old 3 story barn now has no useful function on a dairy farm, except to store stuff. I just looked through my files and I have never taken a shot of one of these modern barns. I have taken a few shots of plastic covered hay bales with smiley faces painted on the them but that's about it.

Vermont does have a program to help barn owners do structural repairs. My neighbor restored their very old barn. Some are being converted for public use; weddings, live theater, community centers, etc. A B&B near here uses the barn as a restaurant. A farm B&B has to have a barn. But functionally they are history. Maybe someday these new pole barns will look photogenic but I doubt it.

regards, and please keep posting, your work is inspiring
  • NewEnglandMomentsNewEnglandMoments Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    Yes , I no longer live in Vermont , left two Years ago after 17 Years... ( Photographers Heaven )

Here is article I saved many Moons ago which pretty much tells the story , worth a read if you have time..
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2002-12-03-barn-usat_x.htm

Barns Fate are the same pretty much everywhere.... Here even in Tennessee, my new home, I went back to re shoot a couple of Barns under different lighting , and in both cases , the Barns were gone , as if they were never there... That was it for me... I just now have steered away from Barns, maybe let someone else carry the torch...
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    Beautiful set.......thumb.gif