Options

How would you handle this situation?

GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited December 14, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Ok, bit of a story here but need some advice...

Moved to Jacksonville, FL from NJ about 2 months ago. Before I moved, my friend and I did a martial arts school shoot. Went well from what we could tell. But, because they wouldn't really let us do much with a background, it was distracting. So we did a little pp on the photos to make them less distracting by (somewhat) muting the colors in the background (but not on our subjects). Looks kinda ESPN The Magazineish. (Have to upload some samples and post.) Basically, the subjects--the kids--are balanced correctly, etc.

Fast forward to about a month after the shoot (a month ago) when the owner of the school calls and tells me some parents aren't happy with the photos because of the pp we did on the background. When I tried to get in touch with the owner, all I've gotten was vm. Then yesterday--another month down the road--I get a vm from the owner asking about this.

Now, since I don't live there any longer, it's not like I can do a reshoot. There isn't anything wrong with the photos although they don't seem to care for the style.

Not sure, exactly, how to handle the situation. Anyone run into a situation like this? I could just tell him to deal with it but it's not my nature to do so but, at the same time, I don't want to incur extra costs for nothing.

Comments

• Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    Leave a message telling him, "I've tried to reach you multiple times and I'd really like to make this right. I understand you're busy but you're not leaving me any options by not answering/returning my phone calls. I'll attempt to reach you x more times but without your cooperation, my hands are tied."

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    Did you charge for this shoot? What were the terms? Was there a contract? Did the owner contract with you?

What is your friends involvement?

You do need to speak with the owner and discuss what in particular the parents, (all parents or just some?) are complaining about. Ask him what he would like you to do to fix this. Asking doesn't mean you can do it but it gives you a starting point. You never know, the request might be pretty simple.

As for a re-shoot, if warranted, your friend (depending on his / her involvement) still lives in the area.

Sam
  • Options
    EnlightphotoEnlightphoto Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2010
    Offer to send copies of the un-retouched photos with the background left alone.
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    I'd leave a message with the guy firstly saying you have tried to reach him numerous times and as such can he get back to you when he is available.

If and when he does, make sure to clearly define the number of parent that are complaining. in my repeated experience, " some parents = 1 " All the parents" + 2-3 who are usually friends of the same trouble making/ too much time on their hands group.
    the fact that 2 months have passed before any complaints/ questions were recieved to me is an indicator the problems are not nearly as serious as they would be made out to be and I would not be the least bit surprised if you hear nothing more of this.

If the shots were done on spec, if they don't like them, they don't have to buy them. If they were paid, they can get the unretouched shots or a refund if they send the pics back.

Simple.
  • Options
    GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    Glort wrote: »
    I'd leave a message with the guy firstly saying you have tried to reach him numerous times and as such can he get back to you when he is available.

If and when he does, make sure to clearly define the number of parent that are complaining. in my repeated experience, " some parents = 1 " All the parents" + 2-3 who are usually friends of the same trouble making/ too much time on their hands group.
    the fact that 2 months have passed before any complaints/ questions were recieved to me is an indicator the problems are not nearly as serious as they would be made out to be and I would not be the least bit surprised if you hear nothing more of this.

If the shots were done on spec, if they don't like them, they don't have to buy them. If they were paid, they can get the unretouched shots or a refund if they send the pics back.

Simple.
    I'm with you on the amount of time which has passed. All of the years I've been in sales, when someone has a PROBLEM, they let you know right away. I also believe it's only one (maybe 2) parents. But we'll see when I can talk to him.

This was done with a basic contract with me and the school. I showed up at the agreed upon time, people ordered/paid for a package, I shot those people and delivered the packages.

Thanks.
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    Would you mind posting a sample or two? I would like to know if they really have something to complain about.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.