Aperture: F4

Comments

• PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2005
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    PeterGar wrote:
    Great exposure! The 200mm did the job!
    thanks. that was with a Sigma 70-200, btw. I get happier with the lens each week.

-sTeven
    http://MiltonSports.smugmug.com
  • Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    StevenV wrote:
    Model: Canon EOS 10D
    Date taken: Friday, September 09, 2005 6:06:14 PM
    Focal length [mm]: 200
    ISO value: 800
    Shutter speed : 1/1000
    Aperture: F4
    nice shot! Love the sweet lightthumb.gif
    edited September 14, 2005
    StevenV wrote:
    thanks. that was with a Sigma 70-200, btw. I get happier with the lens each week.

-sTeven
    http://MiltonSports.smugmug.com
    Very cool! Is that the f/2.8 Sigma 70-200? If so, that's a lens I'm seriously considering and would appreciate any feedback you have on it.
    PeterGar wrote:
    Very cool! Is that the f/2.8 Sigma 70-200? If so, that's a lens I'm seriously considering and would appreciate any feedback you have on it.
    It sure is, specifically the Sigma APO 70-200mm F 2.8 EX DG/HSM. Here's the kicker - it's the ONLY lens I own right now. When I moved from Nikon film to Canon digital, I decided to start with sports at my sons' school, so I got a used 10D and that one lens.

In this particular image, the sheriff is on the track probably about 25' from the yellow seats and people in the background; I'm on the near sideline of the football field maybe 30' or so from him (this is from memory, and not in our "home" stadium, so I could be off). The sun's setting on the far side of the field, so both he and the stands behind him are in good light.

Let's see. The only trouble I've really had probably isn't really lens-specific. I have some trouble getting auto-focus to work (or to work fast enough) in very-low-light action cases - the fourth quarter of night-time football in a high school stadium. Oh, and if you happen to be using the onboard pop-up flash, get the lens hood off (which I always forget to do).

A shorter lens is definately on the short list of things to get; I need a 28-70mm for "normal" photography... I've had some friends ask me to shoot parties and similar events that I just can't do unless I go across the street and play papparatzi :):
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    Awesome! The color, light and DOF is fantastic! Very nice! thumb.gif

Matty
    edited September 15, 2005
    Thanks to all of you for all the kind feedback. The fun thing about this image, for me, is that it wasn't at all planned - I just glanced around and there he was so I shot it without thinking and then went back to the action on the football field - and I forgot entirely about it until I started processing. Even then it just seemed like a throw-away snapshot but something made me keep it.

A day or two later, after getting the first-line images off to the paper and then cleaning up the rest for my smugmug site... then I actually started to notice this one and realize how much I liked it.

It pays to not delete your "throw-aways" too quickly, I guess.
    edited September 15, 2005
    Thanks so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it. :):
    StevenV wrote:
    It sure is, specifically the Sigma APO 70-200mm F 2.8 EX DG/HSM. Here's the kicker - it's the ONLY lens I own right now. When I moved from Nikon film to Canon digital, I decided to start with sports at my sons' school, so I got a used 10D and that one lens.

In this particular image, the sheriff is on the track probably about 25' from the yellow seats and people in the background; I'm on the near sideline of the football field maybe 30' or so from him (this is from memory, and not in our "home" stadium, so I could be off). The sun's setting on the far side of the field, so both he and the stands behind him are in good light.

Let's see. The only trouble I've really had probably isn't really lens-specific. I have some trouble getting auto-focus to work (or to work fast enough) in very-low-light action cases - the fourth quarter of night-time football in a high school stadium. Oh, and if you happen to be using the onboard pop-up flash, get the lens hood off (which I always forget to do).

A shorter lens is definately on the short list of things to get; I need a 28-70mm for "normal" photography... I've had some friends ask me to shoot parties and similar events that I just can't do unless I go across the street and play papparatzi :):