Zion Leftovers

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited December 22, 2010 in Landscapes
Some more photos from my late October trip to Zion that I missed on the first pass of processing (some of these are similar, but slightly better, to ones I chose to process originally and others are completely new):

#1 - Towers of the Virgin at Sunset

1104339702_6Fh8G-L.jpg

#2 - The Watchman:

1111876576_szfq9-L.jpg

#3 - The Lone Patriarch:

1078142869_4J4Ge-L.jpg

#4 - The Winding Narrows:

1111888328_9J3S9-L.jpg

#5 - Autumn on the Zion Plateau:

1111897641_DY3VC-L.jpg

I had some company while taking photos, and thankfully not all of it was carrying a tripod.

#6:

1085111244_AeVSk-L.jpg

#7:

1078145727_sMUSZ-L.jpg

#8:

1078146678_am5nL-L.jpg

Comments

• coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    Apparently there were more turkeys in this set than I thought! :D
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    gorgeous. makes me want to go back.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2010
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    Man, you really nailed the essence of Zion. The first two in particular... whew!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    No turkeys, Ron--a nice series, as always. I really like #5--nice selection of trees for this comp and the mix of vertical and horizontal lines is very appealing. I also like #2--the lighting is beautiful.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    BEAUTIFUL!! set Loved 3,5,6,8.:)
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2010
    Nice set, Ron. #2 is truly majestic and love the colors and light in #4.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 16, 2010
    Excellent set, Ron. But #7 is a turkey.

I'm curious, where you shot the Watchman from. Did you hike up the river? Use a telephoto or what? Great clouds in that one.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    gorgeous. makes me want to go back.

Thanks!
    chrismoore wrote: »
    very nice, Ron. #2 is fabulous!

I was lucky to have a few nights with really nice light at sunset, this was one of them.
    schmoo wrote: »
    Man, you really nailed the essence of Zion. The first two in particular... whew!

Hopefully I'll be able to return in the not-too-distant future and grab a few shots and explore a few more places I didn't have time on this last trip.
    redleash wrote: »
    No turkeys, Ron--a nice series, as always. I really like #5--nice selection of trees for this comp and the mix of vertical and horizontal lines is very appealing. I also like #2--the lighting is beautiful.

Lauren

Thanks Lauren - the fall colors (shot #5) were just starting to peak in the plateau when I was there and would be peaking in the canyon about a week later. The plateau is one area I really want to explore more on my return trip.
    jackiejay wrote: »
    BEAUTIFUL!! set Loved 3,5,6,8.:)

Thanks!
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    Nice set, Ron. #2 is truly majestic and love the colors and light in #4.

Thanks!
    kdog wrote: »
    Excellent set, Ron. But #7 is a turkey.

I'm curious, where you shot the Watchman from. Did you hike up the river? Use a telephoto or what? Great clouds in that one.

I hate to admit it, but I think you're right on #7. For the Watchman shot I scrambled up the hill behind the museum which gives you a pretty good perspective and angle, the shot was at 45mm on a full frame.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    Just incredible photos Ron!!!! I love #2 and #3!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2010
    Not sure how I missed these Ron. I love #2,4,5 and the little birdie is really a lovely shot perfect DOF. Now the turkey is another thing, I have a yard full of them throughout the day and they crap on everthing! whew, that felt good to get off my chest.
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2010
    What a great series! I cannot pick a favorite--every one is terrific. Best, Pam
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Grat shot of the Watchman. Brings back memories. Zion is one of the aprks I ahve been to that I would like to visit again, soon. I heard they closed the park yesterday due to the weather (rainfall).
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac