First time Christmas Card shot

SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited December 13, 2010 in People
C&C Please! :D This is a first for me, so please tell me what to do better next time.

Canon 40D
Phoenix 19-35mm
580EX bounced backward 45* to ceiling

1119940024_KvqCJ-L.jpg

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    Keep in mind what size/type card this is going one. This ratio might not fit
    and need some cropping. Otherwise it is a very nice photo. Also think it would
    be better to change the text to family name and not business.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    I like it, and I like the (intentional?) symmetry of the tree and the Double Bass.
    Very nice...I think I should have a look at doing this sort of thing, but it seems a bigger thing in the US than in the UK.

I assumed the watermark wouldn't be on the card, anyway.
  • tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    I am not a pro, but I don't like the stocking sticking out of the girls head. (the girl in the top left corner)

I also find the guitar next to the Christmas tree distracting.
    It is almost like there is so much going on in the photo that the focus is taking away from the family.

:)
    http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
    Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm
  • fionalornephotographyfionalornephotography Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    Far too busy, and I know the girls could have tucked their hair a little neater so they're perhaps a bit more recognizable (bottom right, I'm looking at you). Otherwise, it's very warmly done, I would have just preferred a more neutral background.
    Central Texas Events Photographer
    http://fionalornephotography.smugmug.com
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    This is just my "wild" suggestion - I am assuming that most of them are musicians (the upright bass, the mandolin, guitar at the back...) I'll probably take out the seats, and let them handle the instruments while standing beside the Christmas tree. This would mean you will shoot in a vertical frame mode with a tight crop. If you want to shoot in landscape you might need a wide angle lens since the room is a bit tight. That is just my idea to add some "taste" into the image. I also play guitar that's why I want to highlight them playing the instruments. :D
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • mrlassitermrlassiter Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    It's a group portrait, try to have them all wearing complimentary colors, or shades of the same color, or hell even the same color... my .02

-mrlassiter
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    I don't usually do people so I won't comment on that ;)
    but I think the venetian blinds are what's causing the distraction. Without using a formal backdrop I think the addition of some simple soft drapes in a color that closely matches the walls would really pull things together (it's a great color to go with Christmas portraits...red, green and gold) and make the subject standout from the background better if you are going to use this nook as a photo location in the future.