Teleconverter for 100-400L.

JoemessJoemess Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited December 9, 2010 in Cameras
Hey folks, does anyone have any examples handy of a teleconverter on a 100-400L? I will be using it on a 7D if that makes any difference.

Opinions or better solutions are welcome
“Tug at a single thing in nature, and you will find it connected to the universe.
[John Muir]

Comments

• JoemessJoemess Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    Joemess wrote: »
    Hey folks, does anyone have any examples handy of a teleconverter on a 100-400L? I will be using it on a 7D if that makes any difference.

Opinions or better solutions are welcome

Mods, if this is better placed in assesories feel free to move it for me.
    “Tug at a single thing in nature, and you will find it connected to the universe.
    [John Muir]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Rockledge, FL on the Space CoastPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    No examples. But you do know it won't autofocus normally don't you.
  • JoemessJoemess Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    Jim K wrote: »
    No examples. But you do know it won't autofocus normally don't you.

Yeah, but that was not the biggest concern that I had. I am just curious as to how much image degradation i will experience.
    [John Muir]
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 9, 2010
    What kind of teleconverter? Manual or auto focus? Taped pins, or no? You probably already know that a "reporting" TC like the Canon ones on the 100-400 will not autofocus on Canon bodies with the exception of the pro 1D line. That's because the camera needs a lens of F5.6 or faster to auto focus, and the 100-400 at 400mm with a TC1.4 has an effective max aperture of F8. You can tape up some of the contact pins, or use a non-reporting TC to fool the body into thinking that the combination is F5.6 That has traditionally worked poorly on previous bodies. However, your post got me curious, and I did just get a 7D, and so I tried it. With the reporting TC, the camera won't even try to AF. I didn't tape pins, but I do have a non-reporting Tamron TC1.4 which I tried, and the results were pretty interesting. Between 100 and 300 zoom range, the camera AF'd almost perfectly. However at 400mm, it hunted horribly but did on occasion lock focus. (This makes sense because being variable aperture, the lens is actually faster at the shorter focal lengths.)

You asked for samples, so here you go. Both of these are 100% crops. They've had levels, and some sharpening, as a quick approximation of how I normally process photos. If these were keeper shots, I would have done a better job obviously.

100-400 @ 100mm, + Tamron TC1.4, ISO800, 1/200s, F6.3 (doesn't factor in the 1 stop loss from the TC)
    1120406984_PV44K-O.jpg
    To my eye, this looks really good. It needed almost no sharpening, above and beyond the minimal input sharpening from the raw converter. Although, I did a pinch of output sharpening, just because I always do.

100-400 @ 400mm, + Tamron TC1.4, ISO 800, 1/250, F4.5 (doesn't factor in the 1 stop loss from the TC)
    1120404439_C7Qqo-O.jpg
    Meh. Exposure is bad (my fault), slow shutter at that focal length probably introduced some motion blur, but there is significant chromatic aberration. The Canon TC would probably do better, but I didn't feel like taping the pins for this experiment. Maybe at some point in the future when I have more time. In general however, you aren't going to get your best optical performance in using zoom lenses with TCs.

Regards,
    -joel