Athletic/Body Builder Shoot

patrickhlenzpatrickhlenz Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited December 10, 2010 in People
Hello Everyone,

My name is Patrick and I'm relatively new to the photography scene. During the past year I've figured out that I really enjoy shooting in a studio setting. The challenges are many, but I'm having a blast with the learning process.

Below is a model named Frank. He's been in body building training for the past year and was looking for some cheap (free) photos to begin marketing himself as a model as well as a competitor. I've been told by others to ditch light modifiers and soft lights for this sort of shoot and bring on the light hardness to best define the body.

Thanks in advance for any critiques and comments you have!

Patrick

1119449237_8bAwk-M.jpg

1119449190_2S4QR-M.jpg

1119449310_gddQs-M.jpg

1119449456_JwQgo-M.jpg

1119449507_y9Z2j-M.jpg

1119449705_SkMiY-M.jpg

1119449759_Kiyef-M.jpg

1119449727_9Vo5D-M.jpg

1119449890_Cvr6e-M.jpg

1119449970_ebEcB-M.jpg

1119450120_5Syyg-M.jpg

1119450178_qvbyn-M.jpg

Comments

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    11 and 12 look perfect. Anyone would be lucky to have those shots in their portfolio.
    Nice series. This type of lighting does work well.
    Ya done good!
  • pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    Hi Patrick!

Brilliant shots! I really like #10 (such a care-free, fun expression), 11 and 12. There's a certain "something" about #8 that I like too though. It's such a unique composition and not what I'm used to seeing anywhere. :-)

It's great to see more "physique"/bodybuilding photos on Smugmug. I love shooting it too. However, I do more contest/stage shots though, so different lighting situations altogether. :D

Keep up the great work! Would love to see more.
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • patrickhlenzpatrickhlenz Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    zoomer wrote: »
    11 and 12 look perfect. Anyone would be lucky to have those shots in their portfolio.
    Nice series. This type of lighting does work well.
    Ya done good!

Thanks Zoomer. He seems pleased with the results, so I'm happy. :
    edited December 9, 2010
    pmbpro wrote: »
    Hi Patrick!

Brilliant shots! I really like #10 (such a care-free, fun expression), 11 and 12. There's a certain "something" about #8 that I like too though. It's such a unique composition and not what I'm used to seeing anywhere. :-)

It's great to see more "physique"/bodybuilding photos on Smugmug. I love shooting it too. However, I do more contest/stage shots though, so different lighting situations altogether. :D

Keep up the great work! Would love to see more.

Thanks for checking these out and giving feedback. I thought it was interesting that he needed a warning RIGHT before I clicked the shot so he could flex his hardest without looking strained. Makes sense...
    edited December 9, 2010
    Thanks for checking these out and giving feedback. I thought it was interesting that he needed a warning RIGHT before I clicked the shot so he could flex his hardest without looking strained. Makes sense...

Yup. It does make sense. It would be exhausting being tensed up for long.
    As a fan of the competitions (only attended since Spring 2009) and training myself (I may compete at least once down the road), I've read up and seen videos on the "how-to" info regarding posing on stage. You can't even look like you're straining, either facial, or through body tremors/shake or poor balance. The judges can tell if it's that or nervousness. They'd lose points I'm sure, either way. Competitors would have to get coaching just on posing alone, and practicing can be just as strenuous as working out. :-O So I can imagine when modeling and doing a photo shoot, they'd have to make it look just as easy, and with a smile. It's sort of like posing outdoors in cold temperatures and making it look like they're in the Bahamas. It ain't easy!rolleyes1.gif
    pmb images
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    I would have to observe that if indeed you are "new to the photography scene" you are a damn quick study. thumb.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited December 10, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    I would have to observe that if indeed you are "new to the photography scene" you are a damn quick study. thumb.gif

That's a very nice compliment; I appreciate the kind words - thanks! :D
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    Patrick, you've got a great eye and a very good handle on lighting. Congrats on a super job. My only criticism and I am serious is that you should not do this for free. You are beyond that point and it cheapens your work/value in the public eye. By charging a fee you present yourself as a professional and you work has more value to it. Your time involved is pricelsss. Again great job and start charging.
    edited December 10, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Patrick, you've got a great eye and a very good handle on lighting. Congrats on a super job. My only criticism and I am serious is that you should not do this for free. You are beyond that point and it cheapens your work/value in the public eye. By charging a fee you present yourself as a professional and you work has more value to it. Your time involved is pricelsss. Again great job and start charging.

^^^ Yes, THIS!! clap.gif

Some "trade for CD" gigs can be okay if both parties are newbies and building their prospective portfolios, all things equal. Hopefully though, over time when people who value your skills see that your portfolio is full of shots like these, they'll be asking "How much do you charge....?" :D

Be careful of people who got stuff for free and send you "referrals" though (these referrals likely would be primed expect "free" shots too).
    pmb images
    edited December 10, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »

I guess for me it's about confidence in the product I have to offer. I'm an I.T. guy for a day job; the creative aspects of photography is what fuels my fire. I intend to start charging money for my work in 2011 and fulfill some basic goals in this business. Your critiques and comments have given me a nice bump in my confidence level; I appreciate it! thumb.gif
    edited December 10, 2010
    pmbpro wrote: »
    ^^^ Yes, THIS!! clap.gif

Some "trade for CD" gigs can be okay if both parties are newbies and building their prospective portfolios, all things equal. Hopefully though, over time when people who value your skills see that your portfolio is full of shots like these, they'll be asking "How much do you charge....?" :D

Be careful of people who got stuff for free and send you "referrals" though (these referrals likely would be primed expect "free" shots too).

Excellent advice; I'll definitely keep those things in mind. Thank you.