B&W Actions

TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
edited December 11, 2010 in People
Hello All - I have another question! I have some B&W actions I like for other shots (landscapes,still life) but for the life of me I haven't found one that I like for portraits. Could you be so kind as to post up some of your PS actions (purchased, free, or custom created) and an example of what they do? Thanks!
Canon Fan

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    That's always a tough one but I have used and had good results with Kubota actions as well as NicoleV.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    They both have great actions for B&W portrait work. I don't remember the specific names of the packages but I can check when I get home.<o:p></o:p>
    I don't use PS much anymore for post work so I'm not up on the latest....<o:p></o:p>
    Lots of times I would have to do prep to the images before applying actions so that they would work well.<o:p></o:p>
    I would sometimes have to take the contrast way down prior to or even bump the exposure in some cases, you have to experiment but once you see how the actions act you get a feel for what image might work well with what action.<o:p></o:p>
    I'm sure you've seen the resources available for free actions...if not I can tag some links here for ya....<o:p></o:p>
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    Have you tried the TRA (get totally rad) free trial ones? I do like Bitchin BW which is included in that set. Samples on their website gettotallyrad.com, but since it's a free trial no harm done to d'l the set and play with it; there are a couple of b&w's in the trial packs.
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    I tried those, and if I remember right I wansn't really liking them, but I will try again. :-)
    I always seem to google and find cool actions when I am at work and then I forget to download them when I am home, hehe
    Canon Fan
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    In Lightroom I desaturate and bump the exposure black point and contrast to taste, that is my action most of the time.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    Take a look at this gal. I use some of her stuff on almost every file. Not cheap but well worth the price. I especially love her vignetting and b&w action.

http://www.jensfabulousstuff.com/shop/contributors/a-j/jen-hillenga/jen-s-complete-action-set.html
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    Pioneer Woman has two free sets of actions and I think there are a couple b&w options in there.

Sesame Ellis also has some nice presets and actions, including one called "easy b&w."
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    Woohoo, another Pioneer Woman lover! :-)

She actually featured one of my photos in her 'Love' challenge. I about had a heart attack I was so excited!!
    Canon Fan
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    Actually, that reminds me - Elaine had a BW preset she used that I admired called "Childhood" - she kindly linked the rest of us to it and I have it, but darned if I can remember/figure out where she linked it from! It's a very bright high contrast bw that she used on some coolio shots of her son thumb.gif
    edited December 11, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Actually, that reminds me - Elaine had a BW preset she used that I admired called "Childhood" - she kindly linked the rest of us to it and I have it, but darned if I can remember/figure out where she linked it from! It's a very bright high contrast bw that she used on some coolio shots of her son thumb.gif

Presets Heaven Childhood BW

711847316_uE9rP-L.jpg
    Elaine

edited December 11, 2010
    These aren't actions, but more free LR presets that I often start with for B&W and/or BW with some split toning.

640pixels

I used BW1-ST1 from this set here:
    796236274_MW3uP-L.jpg
    Elaine

edited December 11, 2010
    I've always liked the looks of an action called the popular b/w2 from Brenda Acuncius. I thought maybe I had picked it up but I don't see it in my CS3. I've been using LR for 99% of everything for the last couple years, so I'm not as familiar with actions as I used to be.
    Elaine