my first time :) (please critique?)

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited December 14, 2010 in People
Hi, On Wednesday, I had my first "Holiday card" / "family shot" type of a thing..

any thoughts are appreciated..
To give you an idea what was the situation.. it was shot in a small apartment, with barely any light.
Used two SB-600s, one on each side, trigered via the commander mode.

1) What mum has requested

1120829018_nUvPV-M.jpg

2) what I liked..
1119998301_GJMm9-M.jpg

3)
1121072185_Jq3Rg-M.jpg

4)
1121072087_BQ49F-M.jpg

That was quite a... uh.. new experience. Since I usually shoot bands and concerts, it was a bit unusual for me to be telling people what to do.. definitely need to work on that. and on lighting..
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    Overall a nice job especially with the situation and equip you were working with. Little babies slouching is always a problem and very hard to control as in 1 & 2 but esp (expression sells portraits) is nice.
    #3 never a fan of white vignetting on a low key portrait! It would have worked better with everyone sitting on their rears and keep the heads closer together and try for triangle formations with the heads.
    #4 is just screaming for a close up of the heads. Sort of the old and the new kind of look. The child is lost and the Christmas bows are overwhelming.
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    What kind of lighting setup did you have?

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    Charles, thank you very much for your feedback.

I hate hate hate white vignette myself. Only reason I tossed it on is to hide the TV.. But I do have a clear shot without vignette as well, as can be seen here

The idea of rears was brought up.. the mum didn't like it because she was worried that it will make her look larger, I think.
    I will absolutely follow the idea in #4. I love what you are suggesting, and I think it will work very well!

Wally, 2x SB-600, bounced.

Since I rarely shoot people in non-stage situation, I don't have better flashes yet.. though, SB-900's are going to be on the way as soon as my car project is done..
    My Site
    My Facebook
    edited December 10, 2010
    Arseny, there are alot of inexpensive soft boxes that will hook up with a speed light and give you some terrific lighting. Try ebay.
    edited December 10, 2010
    10-4, will check 'em out.
    What size should I explore, in your opinion?
    My Site
    My Facebook
    edited December 10, 2010
    For a speed light they usually come in 12 to 16 inches. Rember the bigger the light the softer the light and the closer you can get it the less sharp edge of a shadow you get.
    edited December 10, 2010
    will do. thank you sir.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    Why upgrade to the 900's when you already have good flashguns?

I would think you can get more bang for the buck if you use something like this with the SB600's

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=729187&is=REG

I agree, based on what you had to work with you did pretty good.
    I wont add more critique since it's pretty much been pointed out already.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited December 10, 2010
    wel, ultimately, i do want to have at least 4 strobes.. 900s are stronger, and are capable of commander mode as well.. plus they can be used to set off other flashes.. and I REALLY want that.. seeing as I can not afford a decent wireless triggers at the moment.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    Foques wrote: »
    wel, ultimately, i do want to have at least 4 strobes.. 900s are stronger, and are capable of commander mode as well.. plus they can be used to set off other flashes.. and I REALLY want that.. seeing as I can not afford a decent wireless triggers at the moment.

Ah yes, more flashguns = good thing :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    RF602s on ebay. Trigger and four recievers, $100. :)

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    For this kind of shot, you really don't need the off camera stuff. Just bounce the flash on camera behind and to the side.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • fionalornephotographyfionalornephotography Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    Mum really requested the black and white while only keeping the red (or the red and a dab of something else)? Her money, her opinion, but personally I can't stand the PS tricks where you B&W something and keep one color... There's excess red, so the photo itself seems unbalanced to me. Because of that, a lot of the lower end of the photo seems overexposed.

Again, personal opinion more than anything else!
    Central Texas Events Photographer
    http://fionalornephotography.smugmug.com
    edited December 11, 2010
    yes, she has requested only keeping red and eyes.

I do agree, selective coloring in this situation may not be the best idea, but whatever the client wants with their picture is what i'll do.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • TrackerTracker Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    Foques,
    I think you did good and you gave the client what they wanted. I agree with you; like #2 much better than #1. Christmas is about COLOR. Otherwise, I do like B&W for portraiture. In this case, the tree is just too busy a backdrop in B&W and they get lost in it.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2010
    If you stick with the SB600s, for the money you save not buying the SB900s you can go a long way toward a set of PWs or Radio Poppers. If you look hard enough, you might find a used SB800. Really, you only need one for full-on commander mode using RPs.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited December 13, 2010
    Wally, I shall check those out once I'm done with holidays. Thank you for the idea!

Quarik, I've tried it last night with another shoot. It worked great. Thank you!

Tracker, I am waiting on my backdrops to arrive. It was my Christmas present to myself.

John, you are SO right. I can't believe I didn't think of that!
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • BuddyLeeBuddyLee Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    If you stick with the SB600s, for the money you save not buying the SB900s you can go a long way toward a set of PWs or Radio Poppers. If you look hard enough, you might find a used SB800. Really, you only need one for full-on commander mode using RPs.

Soon the SB700 will be out as well. For $329 or so it'll handle all the commander modes as well as be a decent flash on it's own. Good suggestions. The 900 is a lot of overkill in my opinion.