Naked And Lonely

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited December 14, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
1121563500_s7veX-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    This one works well in b&w. thumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    very well done..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    Superb mood. It has all the elements of "stick" season; bare trees, cloudy sky, and all rendered with a forceful composition. Who says you have to stay inside and watch football all season!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    Wheeew!!!

I was so scared that this was going to be a self portrait when I read the title eek7.gif :lol4
    Randy
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    jiro wrote: »
    This one works well in b&w. thumb.gif

I'm pleased you like it. Actually, this is a color shot that's almost straight out of the camera. I exposed on a bright section of the sky to effectively darken the other elements. It's one of the most monochromatic scenes I can remember seeing.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited December 10, 2010
    Hi Art,

It's always nice to hear from you. Thanks for the kind words.

Take care,

Tom
    edited December 10, 2010
    Hey Werner,

I appreciate the nice remarks. You're absolutely right, Of course. Some raw, stark scenes can be turned into dynamic pictures. A little luck doesn't hurt either.

Tom
    edited December 10, 2010
    rwells wrote: »
    Wheeew!!!

I was so scared that this was going to be a self portrait when I read the title eek7.gif :lol4

Damn!! I can't get off the floor from laughing so much. rolleyes1.gifrofl If you were not a member of the thing, I'd have the Hooligan Posse after you for being disrespectful of your elders.
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    Absolutely beautiful, Tom!
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited December 10, 2010
    I'm pleased you like it. Actually, this is a color shot that's almost straight out of the camera. I exposed on a bright section of the sky to effectively darken the other elements. It's one of the most monochromatic scenes I can remember seeing.

Tom

I know, Tom. I remember you posted the colored version of this image before. This one really worked well when you did it in B&W. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

edited December 10, 2010
    jiro wrote: »
    I know, Tom. I remember you posted the colored version of this image before. This one really worked well when you did it in B&W. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

The colored version and this one were shot on different days....from the very same shooting position. When this image was snapped, there was absolutely zero color to record. I do prefer this version....and I'm known as a color fanatic.

Take care,

Tom
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    That is great image, Tom. It is a very powerful picture in B/W.
  • Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2010
    very well shot, I love the silhouette of the bare trees
    Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
    Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
    edited December 11, 2010
    eL eSs Vee wrote: »
    Absolutely beautiful, Tom!

Thanks for the nice comment. I'm sure glad to see you posting again.

Happy holidays,

Tom
    edited December 11, 2010
    Azzaro wrote: »
    That is great image, Tom. It is a very powerful picture in B/W.

Thanks, Gary. I have to agree with you....this shot is definitely more effective as a B/W image.

Tom
    edited December 11, 2010
    very well shot, I love the silhouette of the bare trees

Thanks for the kind words, Steve. I also find these type scenes to be especially attractive. It just seems, though, that I'm rarely able to capture the scene with the power and substance that I know is there....this time I was lucky and got it.

Tom
    edited December 11, 2010
    The colored version and this one were shot on different days....from the very same shooting position. When this image was snapped, there was absolutely zero color to record. I do prefer this version....and I'm known as a color fanatic.

Take care,

Tom

Really? I thought it was the same image. headscratch.gif I guess my eyes are not that good in discerning differences anymore. :D But still an awesome and powerful image to me. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

• NewEnglandMomentsNewEnglandMoments Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    Love the detail in the Silhouetted trees !! EYE GRABBING! I also like the Shades of Black u retained in the hills, from light grays to black, Impressive!

As a Nit , strictly a nit, I always feel that a fence running Horizontal in foreground, blocks the viewer from entering the scene.... Its just a preference of mine , and I do it also lol.. for me its like a stop sign... Although its faint in your shot.. I would be curious the different look the shot would provide without the fence, and if you feel spunky, wondering the effect of burning it ot or cloning it out...

Hey , just a Nit to a great B+W... I'm new here maybe sometimes I should just keep my trap shut lol...
    Please Do Not Edit My Images/or Use Without Permission..
    edited December 11, 2010
    Love the detail in the Silhouetted trees !! EYE GRABBING! I also like the Shades of Black u retained in the hills, from light grays to black, Impressive!

As a Nit , strictly a nit, I always feel that a fence running Horizontal in foreground, blocks the viewer from entering the scene.... Its just a preference of mine , and I do it also lol.. for me its like a stop sign... Although its faint in your shot.. I would be curious the different look the shot would provide without the fence, and if you feel spunky, wondering the effect of burning it ot or cloning it out...

Hey , just a Nit to a great B+W... I'm new here maybe sometimes I should just keep my trap shut lol...

Hey Tom,

You never have to worry about expressing " nits " or any other opinions about my work. Most of us on this forum are very open to other's take on the pictures we shoot. The whole issue of interchanging ideas, techniques, concepts, etc., etc. is how we all expand our horizons.

Thanks for the nice comments,

Tom
  • Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    Thanks for the kind words, Steve. I also find these type scenes to be especially attractive. It just seems, though, that I'm rarely able to capture the scene with the power and substance that I know is there....this time I was lucky and got it.

Tom
    My greatest frustration is getting the camera to capture what my minds eye sees.
    Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
    Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2010
    Title had me spooked for a minute .. then I had to look rolleyes1.gif

Good title for it -- they do look lonely and certainly naked.

There's something about trees silhouetted against a sky .. the bare branches look like art work.
    edited December 12, 2010
    Hey Mary,

Fess'up girl, you know you wanted to look....what did it take you, about two seconds?:D:D

Happy holidays,

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2010
    Hey Mary,

Fess'up girl, you know you wanted to look....what did it take you, about two seconds?:D:D

Happy holidays,

Tom

Laughing.gif -- Naw I think it took me 3 seconds rolleyes1.gif
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

I had my Wife look before I would:D:D:D

Really love the scene and the trees do look

like they've been stripped and forlorn.

One of the very few B&W I've seen from you,

great processing and feel to this one.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited December 14, 2010
    Yo Craig,

" I had my wife look before I would ". Boy, between you and that Randy character....ya'll have got me on the run.:D

This shot is a B+W shot only because it was a completely B+W scene. It was recorded as a color shot and was PP that way. I exposed on a bright section of the sky to darken the other elements. In PP ( which you know I keep to a dead minimum ) the only adjustments I made were a slight cropping and a slight ( very slight ) levels manipulation to further the silhouette effect. But it is a color photo....there was just absolutely no color to record.

Have a blessed day,

Tom