Options

Not quite a TTD session

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited December 13, 2010 in Weddings
We had plans to keep make a full night of it and really push the envelope with the dress. We were just getting started and having fun in the water when a photographer I brought along slipped and dropped her camera in the water. YIKES! So wedropped the rest of the shoot at that point and picked back up another day for some studio work. Here's some of what we did in the short time at the river.

6a45bc523b070e5c43cf64cce5e563ae.jpg

7462b54e4750fb6e08d4b4f87a2d045a.jpg

b48647fd465c2ee17a06d02e5e385aca.jpg

b92ac7c70d9aeba76a5dcef71095e789.jpg

56990c4ee61fcb1ddb0202d5c9381847.jpg

91ababfce22ec3b2fd36bf99f76693f9.jpg

d1b5ba90472a32afaf271e160d840157.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    1, 4, 5, and 7 are fantastic! Would you mind sharing your focal length/lens on 4 & 5? Sweet stuff Pat!
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2010
    Thanks Darren! #4 was with the 85L, #5 with the 135L.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    The dangers of working with you, eh, Pat?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2010
    Well yeah, I did push her in the water.

Seriously though it was a really crappy situation. The other photog is a friend of mine and wanted to set up a model shoot while she was in town. I knew I had to do the TTD session, so I set it up for her to come along and shoot - no pay, but I wasn't using her images, they were 100% hers. We had basically just gotten started with the planned shoot when it happened and they were my paying clients. The other photog was really upset (as anyone would be) and didn't want to continue, even using my backup equipment. I knew I didn't have what I had wanted (I only had two shots of the couple together) so it was a sticky situation.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    I really don't understand this at all. First of all, the other photographer was just a hanger-on, right? I assume your client was paying you for a TTD session (which I also don't understand, but that's my issue) and it was not your equipment that got dunked. You had redundant equipment in case something went wrong with yours anyway.

Why did your client not get what she wanted because your friend dunked her equipment? I'm trying not to be judgemental, but the term "unprofessional" keeps worming its way into my consciousness.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    I'm trying not to be judgemental, but the term "unprofessional" keeps worming its way into my consciousness.

Agreed John - it was unprofessional of me and I felt awful about it. It was a sticky situation on the day of (to put it lightly) and there is a bit more fueling the fire to this story. Thankfully I had a lot of familiarity with the clients (after all I had already shot their wedding and one previous family session) so I judged their reaction to the situation and made the best decision that I could have. The clients received this session (and they love the photos) and another full session at no charge. At the end of the day, the clients were happy and that it what matters.

However I did learn a huge lesson - do not bring anyone on a shoot with you that is not willing to live up to your standards. I have broken tons of equipment while shooting, it's just part of life, but you have to be willing to to finish the shoot both equipment wise and mentally. On this shoot, a camera was destroyed (hers), a pocket wizard (mine) destroyed, and a 16-35 lens (hers) almost lost, but really none of that is the clients fault.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    Classy of you to comp the session. thumb.gif Classy of your clients to be understanding. Your freind needs an attitude adjustment. I too have had cameras, flashes, laptops and lenses hit the deck with widely varying degrees of destruction. More than once I felt like I was going to throw up, but I've gotten pretty good at saying "Hey, don't worry, it's fully depreciated," and getting on with the assignment. Spoiling your (and your clients') session didn't fix your friend's camera. Let's hope she learned something too. Thanks for having the cojones to share that embarrasing story.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2010
    And five minutes with Patrick is probably more productive of dozens of stunning images (as is evidenced here) than five hours with the majority of other photographers they might have hired.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    Wow, amazing shots even if you didn't spend all day doing it!
  • Options
    yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    Very creative
    I really like #7! thumb.gif
    Regards,
    AZFred