Options

7D and Lenses

2»

Comments

• Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Sara, pixel density does matter, and plays a significant role in how lenses affect images in crop camera bodies. Generally, as they cram more pixels into the same size sensor, the pixel wells get smaller, hence noiser especially at higher ISOs, but pixel pitch plays a role in diffraction limits as well.

Here is an article about the 50D and pixel density, and how demanding it is of fine glass. These comments are even more significant at the higher pitch of the 7D. The 50D was 15 Mpixels, the 7D is 18Mpixels, compared to the 10Mpixels of the 40D.

Thanks for the replies. I've been thinking about upgrading to the 7D. But then again, I was playing with my best friend's Nikon yesterday and loved the solid click of her D300 - but that's another story - let's not go there :D
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    I wonder what you feel is the limitation of your 40D? You take some great pictures and I like your blog and other sites.

On the central question I think digital photography is a extensive system and most important to a photographer is knowing how to use the available tools. Sara, you seem to be on-top of your system. Everything is a trade-off because even with the best equipment money can buy we do not come close to the resolution and range of the human eye, let alone being able to feel the sun on our face or the wind in our hair.

I like the 40D still because it is a "sweet spot" camera. It has sufficient resolution to compare with the old 35mm and it is forgiving for all the lenses in the catalogue. It is not the bottleneck in my photography and nor are the lenses I use. I am still learning how to get more from the equipment I have. I don't want a new body because I would have to start a substantial part of the learning curve all over again, reading and understanding another 300 page manual for a relatively minor improvement in capability.

My dream camera would be the Leica M9. Convenient to carry everywhere, superb lightweight glass, better than DSLR quality. (It works with lenses made 90 years ago, and those made 40 years ago are still current. Just goes to show that lenses are not the limiting factor). The Apple of the camera world. Shame I cannot afford it.

Any system needs to be in balance. I cannot imagine using a 70-200L on a Rebel because it would not feel right. Likewise my EF lenses do not feel exactly right on my crop camera, although they work ok. And don't underestimate the practicality of the Japanese designers - the kit lens is often the optimal choice. Japanese do not do marketing the way we do in US and Europe. Not being Japanese, we always like to feel we are a bit smarter than the designers and we do love to mix and match, coupling components that were never intended to work together.

So I come back to my first question. What is it you feel you are missing in your photography?

I sometimes think I am missing some sharpness with the 40D when I shouldn't be.

A big thing for me right now would be a higher ISO, since I do a lot of low-light/flash-less photography; dark pubs, and such. I'm thinking the 7D would give me the higher ISOs, plus I've been getting into videos a bit, again, a lot of it in dark pubs.

And thank you for your kind words Re my photos - it's been on the back burner for the past eight years while I was in school, studying something totally unrelated, and now that phase of my life is over I'm really happy to be digging back in to my photography - my first love, really.

Yes - it's a shame we can't afford a lot of things, though sometimes it pays off to get the stuff we need. :D
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    sara505 wrote: »
    I sometimes think I am missing some sharpness with the 40D when I shouldn't be.

A big thing for me right now would be a higher ISO, since I do a lot of low-light/flash-less photography; dark pubs, and such. I'm thinking the 7D would give me the higher ISOs, plus I've been getting into videos a bit, again, a lot of it in dark pubs.

And thank you for your kind words Re my photos - it's been on the back burner for the past eight years while I was in school, studying something totally unrelated, and now that phase of my life is over I'm really happy to be digging back in to my photography - my first love, really.

Yes - it's a shame we can't afford a lot of things, though sometimes it pays off to get the stuff we need. :D

Looking at your photos I would be (am) thinking of upgrading to the 5DMkII. From what I read and see, the image quality is a bit better and the ISO sensitivity is good - also a "sweet spot" camera. Your lens of choice fits perfectly.

The 7D seems to have a lot of options for sharper photos when you figure out how to use the AF. Personally with the 40D I am relying less and less on the AF and more on checking the DOF in my head (not using that funny button close to the lens). I suppose if birds in flight or sports were my thing I would be migrating to the 7D and reading the manual...

The other attraction of the 7D is that more megapixels give better cropping opportunities. I am taking most of my photos today with an eye to 16:9 display which means that I lose a substantial part of the image every time. Here again the 5D looks a good choice - even more megapixels on a bigger sensor so less noise and more relaxed.