Hello from Asia

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited December 14, 2010 in People
Hey everyone,

Just dropped by to say hello. Unfortunately, no pics to share yet since I am shooting RAW and left my puter in the Philippines.

I am in Phuket right now. Got here yesterday. Have spent the last week in the Philippines. Have seen lots of interesting stuff. Spent a few days in Boracay which is a different island in the Phils. Very pretty. Unfortunately I dropped my camera down flight of stairs. Damage both my 28-70mm f/2.8 and my D300 so the pics in Boracay were limited to my P&S. I dropped the D300 off at the authorized repair place in Manila when we got back. Then I headed down to Quiapo which is a big market area in downtown Manila. Ended up picking up a D700 there so I would have a cam in Thailand. I'm stuck shooting everything with my Tokina 11-16mm ultrawide lens so it's a little challenging but should yield some interesting shots. And boy am I loving this D700. It's amazing at high ISO!!!

This is turning out to be a great trip. Can't wait to share some photos. Will do ASAP. BTW, had a bout of food poisoning but it only lasted 24-hours. Feel great now.

TTFF!
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2010
    Glad you're OK now. Sorry about the mishaps. Can't wait to see your travel pics here. thumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2010
    Sorry about the damage, Alex :cry
    Hopefully you'll get it fixed before the trip ends...thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2010
    Thanks guys. Yeah... the body is being repaired. Should be done by the time I get back from Thailand to Manila. Only costing me about $250 US so not all that bad. The lens they said would take minimum of 30 days due to availability of parts because its the old Nikon "Beast". I didn't get it fixed since I will be back in the States before it's done getting fixed but I've been thinking, I may drop it off when I pick up the body. My in-laws can then bring it with them when they come to the US in March. It will probably be cheaper to get it fixed in Manila than back home. Need to think about it.

I got a pretty darn good deal on the D700. I paid $2050 US brand new. I'm loving it. Although it's been a challenge to shoot with my WA for everything. It's even wider on the FX body. It's been a while since I shot with it so I'm a bit rusty. But so far I think I've gotten some good shots. We'll see once I download. Wish I had pics to share but as I said, no RAW converter on my puter here. I may shoot some in both RAW and JPEG at the beach today.

My Smug Site
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2010
    Ouch on the camera gear... But sounds like an opportunity to get an upgrade.

Have a great time there. Looking forward patiently to seeing some of your shots.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2010
    Alex, great to hear from you and though the D300 had an accident it's great to hear that you now own a D700.....
    Enjoy your time ......
    Can't wait tot see pics!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    ... as I said, no RAW converter on my puter here...
    That's not a very good excuse for not sharing. Just download Picasa and share your loot.deal.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    Cuong wrote: »
    That's not a very good excuse for not sharing. Just download Picasa and share your loot.deal.gif

Cuong

Nice Cuong... didn't think of that. I will share as soon as I get back to Manila which is Saturday. Maybe sooner if I can dig up a USB cord some place. Left mine back in the Philippines.

My Smug Site
  • PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    Sorry to hear about the mishap, sounds like you've got a good opportunity to learn and experiment! Grats on the D700!
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    Well, despite all have a great time, good shooting and then post like heck.
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    Can't wait to see some photo's. Safe travels.
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.