Options

Lightroom Keyword issue

kbevphotokbevphoto Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited January 1, 2011 in Finishing School
Can someone please answer this and tell me it was a ridiculously obscure setting that I'm missing. (Lie to me if you have to, I know this should be easy!!! :D)

Everytime i type in a new (non-existing) keyword in Lightroom, it automatically adds it under my "Family" main-heading in the hierarchy. I'd want it to add in the top level, but can't figure out how to set (or "reset") the default location.

What am I missing here?!?!?!?! :dunno

Comments

• Options
    piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    kbevphoto wrote: »
    Can someone please answer this and tell me it was a ridiculously obscure setting that I'm missing. (Lie to me if you have to, I know this should be easy!!! :D)

Everytime i type in a new (non-existing) keyword in Lightroom, it automatically adds it under my "Family" main-heading in the hierarchy. I'd want it to add in the top level, but can't figure out how to set (or "reset") the default location.

What am I missing here?!?!?!?! ne_nau.gif

I only recently realized there were categories. Everything I have entered so far has been under the default category. Looks like I have some repair work to do.
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    kbevphoto wrote: »

What am I missing here?!?!?!?! ne_nau.gif
    Check to see which keyword list is active. I will check mine when I get home to see how mine is setup
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    daylightimagesdaylightimages Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    To add LR keywords I use the "+" sign on the keywords list bar. If none of the categories below are highlighted, it will make a top-level keyword. If one of the categories is highlighted it will put the keyword under that category -- but you can get around that. The "+" opens a dialogue box, and under "Creation options" it will have a box checked that says "Put inside XXXcategory." Just unclick that box and the keyword will go in as a top-level word.
    Steve Barry
    The Railroad Photographer
    www.railroadphotographer.com
  • Options
    kbevphotokbevphoto Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    To add LR keywords I use the "+" sign on the keywords list bar. If none of the categories below are highlighted, it will make a top-level keyword. If one of the categories is highlighted it will put the keyword under that category -- but you can get around that. The "+" opens a dialogue box, and under "Creation options" it will have a box checked that says "Put inside XXXcategory." Just unclick that box and the keyword will go in as a top-level word.

Thanks Steve but no-go. I don't have any categories active, and regardless it insists on adding new words to "Family". The problem is that I don't hit the plus sign. i just start typing the words into the dialogue box when I need to add one. I'd like for that to happen in the top level, but it always adds the ones i type to the "family" top-level category.

Any other ideas?headscratch.gif
  • Options
    RobSylvanRobSylvan Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    If you right-click the Family keyword you will see a contextual menu appear. Is Put new keywords inside this keyword checked? If so, uncheck it.

89vM