Options

LR3.3 Freezing, display issues

TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited December 26, 2010 in Finishing School
Hi,
I just bought LR 3 and I have been having problems with it freezing up, running slow, and sometimes the mouse "paints" on the import page, exposing the library module beaneath it. Is this a RAM issue, I only have 4 gb Ram running windows Vista. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 12, 2010
    How many pictures in your catalog?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2010
    all of a suden Lr3.3 starting acting up real weird for me...it was telling me that it could not access a catalog and just flat would not open...after a couple of days I dumped it used 2.7 for a couple of days..then re-installed 3....but did not upgrade to 3.3 and it seems fine now.....gonna bypass 3.3 for a while just for my peace of mind.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 12, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    How many pictures in your catalog?

Just a couple hundred. I was trying to import a cf card with 500 or so on it. I uncheck all and import just the keepers, but it gets all goofy. A little bit of googling showed me that Windows 32 bit systems are pretty slow...
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 12, 2010
    When you start importing 500 files, extra RAM may help.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    Preview Quality!
    Just a couple hundred. I was trying to import a cf card with 500 or so on it. I uncheck all and import just the keepers, but it gets all goofy. A little bit of googling showed me that Windows 32 bit systems are pretty slow...
    Remember upon import you can set the quality of preview of your pictures. This may be the problem you are experiencing using the 32 bit level. Just a possible remedy. I have yet to update to 3.3 but I wouldn't be surprised there may be a bug from what I have read here! I'm going to keep close tabs on this or any other LR3.3 issues on the net for the next week before I proceed with my update.ne_nau.gif.

Brady
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • Options
    FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    Just did a little search on net!
    Apparently there may be some bugs in LR3.3 that will need to be ironed out. On POTN some are having problems with WB selector as well.

Stay Tuned : Bradyheadscratch.gif
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • Options
    kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    Hi,
    I just bought LR 3 and I have been having problems with it freezing up, running slow, and sometimes the mouse "paints" on the import page, exposing the library module beaneath it. Is this a RAM issue, I only have 4 gb Ram running windows Vista. Thanks!

Is your vista version 32bit and are you running with any /3gb switch or /PAE or /AWE switch in your Vista boot string? I had major problems with Lightroom 3.x "import" locking up and these settings in place. If this is the case try removing these settings and I think this will resolve your issue. It did for me anyway. Strange bug, but it is there.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2010
    @Brady yes it is set to high quality...I will change that tomorrow and let you know, good call. @KC--yes 32 bit, not sure what the 3gb switch is...a physical switch, or something in the Dos...I see some guys on here with 12gb Ram...holy schnikees am I in the minor leagues....Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2010
    @Brady yes it is set to high quality...I will change that tomorrow and let you know, good call. @KC--yes 32 bit, not sure what the 3gb switch is...a physical switch, or something in the Dos...I see some guys on here with 12gb Ram...holy schnikees am I in the minor leagues....Thanks for the help.

The /3gb switch is in your boot.ini file and is the first thing that runs when windows boots up. I was using it to try and allow photoshop or lightroom to use more than 2GB of my 4GB of memory. Typically with a 32 bit operating system, it will only use <2GB for a single program running. With this switch it can use up to 3gb for photoshop and leave the rest for the OS.
    It is not the default, so if you don't know how to change it then it is probably not your problem. I was seeing similar problems to what you are seeing and me taking these special switches out of my boot.ini file did fix my problem. It didn't show up until version 3.x of lightroom, so something changed with the new import screen. Sorry this didn't help you, but maybe it will help someone else. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2010
    Hi,
    I was able to find out how to change the 3gb switch using the command prompt, and it seems to be working! Thanks so much!
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2010
    Hi,
    I was able to find out how to change the 3gb switch using the command prompt, and it seems to be working! Thanks so much!

Glad it worked. I probably should post this to the adobe site, because I somewhat randomly came across the solution because I have dual boot strings in my boot.ini to allow me to boot with and without the 3gb switch and noticed it would work sometimes and then stop working.

Nevermind posting
    It has already been posted at adobe in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2964548#2964548