Options

focus problems.

2»

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,813 moderator
    edited September 5, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    ... They used to make a hand held flat disc like a filght calculator I think, but I haven't sen one for years. Maybe Ziggy knows of one.

For those thinking DIY:

http://www.dofmaster.com/custom.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    thanks again for all the input. I'd never thought of it being onboard the camera.

that would be incredibly simple.

here's a study in DOF shot on burst mode. these are sequential no deletions.

note pic one green bike in focus.

pic 2 red bike in focus.

why would DOF change?

holy cow I just looked and focal length changed - I was zooming while the bikes were passing.

but the aperture didn't change???? I thought DOF was not effected by focal length? :D

christ I must have been backpedaling. I do that...

some of the calculations I was doing on the posted link had a DOF of like 1-2 feet with what I thought was usual distances I'm working with. headscratch.gif

DSC6438-X2.jpg

DSC6439-X2.jpg

I always shoot manual. how does aperture priority know what your DOF needs will be? it can't?
  • Options
    mstensmstens Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Well, here's why I didn't believe it until I tried it. What's important in all of the discussion above is that the size of the subject HAS to be identical. When you change focal lengths you tend to end up, compositionally speaking, with an image where the subject's size in the image is different.

When you select your aperture, that will effectively select your DoF. All that will happen from this point is that your camera will select shutter speed, this can be bad shooting sports (depending on what you're looking for).

While I'm at it the second image is a very strong image in my opinion. You've got great focus on the foreground subject, with a nice DoF and in addition some panning and motion blur. Very nice, I like it.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Re post 33 - isn't it possible the AF point is now on some part of the foreground rider?

Nice shot btw :)

pp
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    What I want to know is how much you had to pay them
    to get in place and take in all those vintage bikes!

I know I'd pay an admission price.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/