Options

How to respond...

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited December 15, 2010 in Weddings
A few weeks ago, I did a family session for this service member's family. You can read the details here - I don't want to mention the organization so this thread doesn't pop up on google for people: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=184116

The client was very happy from looking at the photos I blogged, even though she won't see the album till her husband comes home. She then wrote me this email:

(Paraphrased) I normally don't like the way I look in photos, but you took some really nice ones that I liked ("That's talent!" <--she wrote). It's too bad you're not based in Maui, we need a wedding photographer and we'd totally hire you!

Loving Client Name Here

I almost hit the floor - maui?! I'd love to go haha. How should I approach this? I have a copy of the album I sent to her hubby as a sample for future clients from this organization, and I thought I'd ask her if she would like to see how the rest of the photos turned out over coffee. Then I'd bring a price sheet for weddings and let her know that for xxx travel fees, I'd love to be their wedding photographer.

Or maybe I should rewrite my pricing sheet to include travel fees already? I don't know, what do you guys think? I need advice on how to approach this. She hasn't seen my pricing or anything.

Kris

Comments

• Options
    edited December 13, 2010
    I should also add that it's tough showing her a tangible portfolio when I am only able to blog the weddings I've seconded for. I guess I can send her to the blog, sigh. My first wedding as primary will be in Vegas in time for my and my second's birthday, so I can't wait.
  • Options
    BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    What a nice email!

First, let me say, I follow your blog and your work is awesome. You should have no problem being honest about your situation (not yet being a primary) and still selling this client, (as long as they can afford you)

I have found honesty speaks volumes when starting into the wedding business. When I have been meeting with clients recently, I am very upfront and honest with them about being in the first/second year of business and it has not swayed their decisions to hire for 2011.

As for including travel fees in your pricing, I wouldn't, but that is just me. I would set up your travel fee as a line listed item based upon distance and destination traveled to. It sounds as though you really want to shoot this wedding and flying to the middle of the pacific isn't cheap. Maybe you feel her out a bit and depending on how much you want to go, have her put you up in a hotel in advance of the wedding and take a little vacation as your fee.

Either way, your stuff is awesome, im sure big business is in your future with lots of happy clients like this one.

Ben
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    disclaimer: applying singer self-marketing to photography

I've learned (the hard way!) that if you don't ask, you don't get and if people don't know you're interested, they don't consider you. She won't KNOW you're interested unless you tell her! I'd be absolutely upfront about it and let her know you want to throw your name into the arena. You already have a rapport with her and know she loves your work - it might not work out (for all sorts of reasons - dates, cost, other interested parties with different agendas etc etc), but nothing ventured and all that!

A face-to-face meeting would obviously be best, but since it sounds like your email convos have been fairly personal (rather than "business formal") I'd probably send an email reply that included something along the lines of "Hawaii? How exciting! Btw, I'm absolutely serious when I say that I would LOVE to shoot this for you - we should talk further to see if we can work something out!" and then maybe a link to the wedding shots on your blog. I'd imagine that most non-photographers wouldn't actually care if you were the 2nd or the primary - all they're going to notice is the gorgeous photos you've taken! And she ALREADY likes what you've done with her personally, so you've got a serious leg-up to start. That means you're making sure she knows you're interested, she's seen some of your other work and it gives you some time to think about how much you'd actually need to charge to make it viable as a gig (RIchy's suggestion sounds good to me, and I defer absolutely to those with knowledge!).

Again, just my 2c applying musician self-promotion to photography - if I'm way off-base, just smile and ignore... :D
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    marikris wrote: »
    A few weeks ago, I did a family session for this service member's family. You can read the details here - I don't want to mention the organization so this thread doesn't pop up on google for people: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=184116

The client was very happy from looking at the photos I blogged, even though she won't see the album till her husband comes home. She then wrote me this email:

(Paraphrased) I normally don't like the way I look in photos, but you took some really nice ones that I liked ("That's talent!" <--she wrote). It's too bad you're not based in Maui, we need a wedding photographer and we'd totally hire you!

Loving Client Name Here

I almost hit the floor - maui?! I'd love to go haha. How should I approach this? I have a copy of the album I sent to her hubby as a sample for future clients from this organization, and I thought I'd ask her if she would like to see how the rest of the photos turned out over coffee. Then I'd bring a price sheet for weddings and let her know that for xxx travel fees, I'd love to be their wedding photographer.

Or maybe I should rewrite my pricing sheet to include travel fees already? I don't know, what do you guys think? I need advice on how to approach this. She hasn't seen my pricing or anything.

Kris

Simple response: "Eff yes!" :D Keep travel fees (flight + accomodation + transportation) separate.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2010
    Thanks, guys! I appreciate your help! I emailed her today and I guess we'll see what she says. Positive thinking till then :)

PS Thank you SO much for encouragement. I am going to work on my pricing sheet now, and when / if I meet with her, I'll definitely account for travel fees separately.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    marikris wrote: »
    Thanks, guys! I appreciate your help! I emailed her today and I guess we'll see what she says. Positive thinking till then :)

PS Thank you SO much for encouragement. I am going to work on my pricing sheet now, and when / if I meet with her, I'll definitely account for travel fees separately.

Def. keep those fees separate. Service members in Hi have oodles of places they can rent for you for peanuts, per week...and they are right nice places, near the beach!

Congrats!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2010
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Def. keep those fees separate. Service members in Hi have oodles of places they can rent for you for peanuts, per week...and they are right nice places, near the beach!

Thanks, Tom! Wow, duh, I totally forgot about military rent. I remember when I was newly married and the hubs and I had to stay in the transient barracks for a few weeks while we looked for a house off base. $15 dollars a day in sunny California. Circumstances are different, but I wonder if that will work for HI (or something different. Or military discount of any kind lol). For sure I will broach the subject.