Options

Cokin and other filters...any good to me, you think?

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited December 15, 2010 in Accessories
Hi All,

I am after some advice. I have accumulated over time a few cokin and cokin-like filters, holders etc. I am wondering if they are actually of any use to me, or not. I have a canon 400d, and an assortment of (mostly) manual lenses which I play around with. I have never used filters at all. I use CS5 for PP.

Here is a list of what I have...

2 x cokin filter holders (with 52mm thread adaptors)
1 x filter holder (looks like the cokin ones, but isn't), again 52mm thread.

1 x square filter holder with detachable hood. reversable 49mm/52mm thread adaptor.

1 x cokin A005 sepia
1 x cokin A127 (looks like blue grad)
1 x A056 (doesn't say cokin - round filter, looks like it's a 6-star, or something)

A cokin filter box with:
1 x blue grad (doesn't say cokin)
1 x cokin "chanpagne" - looks like a portrait filter, hazy outer around an oval centre.
1 x grad tabac (doesn't say cokin)
1 x warm tone UV -(doesn't say cokin)
1 x sepia (doesn't say cokin)
2 x grad (looks sepia)(doesn't say cokin)
1 x portrait filter (clear centre circle, textured outer)(doesn't say cokin)
1 x starfire 8 (doesn't say cokin)
1 x portrait soft spot (actual hole in the middle)(doesn't say cokin)

I saw a single cokin holder on ebay go for £10 the other day...so I am trying to decide if these are actually of any use to me, or do I sell them and put the proceeds towards my desparately desired 50mm f1.8!

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,867 moderator
    edited December 14, 2010
    Graduated filters can be nice in allowing more dynamic range to be captured in a single exposure. Multiple exposures can yield much more DR than any filter, but generally require a tripod and static scenes.

Color tinting filters are rarely used anymore because it's so easily accomplished in post-processing.

Star filters are still interesting, but I generally do that manually with brushes in post.

Unfortunately I don't think used Cokin filters bring too much these days, but if it helps you towards an additional lens, I think that's where I would put the priority.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    Why not play with them....no one can actually tell you they a re or not useful to YOU.....there are many software filters available, one most notably by Tiffen...but do they really work as well as an actual filter...they say yes, each photog will have a differing opinion ........

Good Luck..................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 14, 2010
    Thanks guys. I suppose, Art, that I am not really "fired up" to try them, but I think I should. But I do use Photoshop quite a bit, and am getting better as I go on.
    But also, there are a few miscellaneous bits of gear I have in bags around the house that could, little by little, briing in the funds for the 50mm. Funds are very tight, so every little helps, you see?

I am leaning towards selling them, even for pennies, at the moment. Unless someone convinces me to keep them. :)
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Why not play with them....no one can actually tell you they a re or not useful to YOU.....there are many software filters available, one most notably by Tiffen...but do they really work as well as an actual filter...they say yes, each photog will have a differing opinion ........

Good Luck..................
    This is what resonates with me. Lately I've been really into photography just for the fun of it. I like shooting slides in my 1980's FM2, I like the art of clicking a frame and then not having to do anything else after that.

So each person's "needs", compared to their "wants" will differ greatly. If you have no burning desire to use any of those filters, then I'd say it's safe to sell them off. None of them are absolutely ESSENTIAL to digital photography. Personally the only filter I couldn't live without on digital is a circular polarizer, because it affects images in a way that just can't be photoshopped. The rest is more of a fun hobby. (And yes I do still own a few of those cheesy filters, like the starburst effect... :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2010
    This is what resonates with me. Lately I've been really into photography just for the fun of it. I like shooting slides in my 1980's FM2, I like the art of clicking a frame and then not having to do anything else after that.

So each person's "needs", compared to their "wants" will differ greatly. If you have no burning desire to use any of those filters, then I'd say it's safe to sell them off. None of them are absolutely ESSENTIAL to digital photography. Personally the only filter I couldn't live without on digital is a circular polarizer, because it affects images in a way that just can't be photoshopped. The rest is more of a fun hobby. (And yes I do still own a few of those cheesy filters, like the starburst effect... :-)

=Matt=

Thanks.

I have a couple of Circular Polarisers for a couple of my lenses (not megabucks ones, but ok). I'm probably going to move these on...a few quid towards the 50mm. :)
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2010
    I think I'm going to keep one holder (no need for 3!) and the grads...get rid of the rest.

cheers