Options

Tetons - May or September?

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited February 20, 2011 in Location, Location, Location!
after a long spell without any real road trips (forced upon me by the economics of 16 months of unemployment), i'm finally thinking about a trip to the Tetons/Yellowstone this year, either in May/June or September. Any opinions on which time of year would be better? I'm thinking September would get me some early fall color, but May might be better for critters?
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    Sept is likely to not be much color at all, if any, unless you go in late September AND there's been a cold snap to jump start the leaves. Been meaning to go a few times, but haven't gotten there, but I've been through a few autumns now with local photographers heading there, so I can comment on September at least :)
    //Leah
  • Options
    TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2010
    I have been to Jackson Hole 5 times. it was always mid to late Sept that I liked. Good weather and beautiful colors. By good weather I mean out of a week 4 days of sunny warm 1 day of overcast 1 day of rain and 1 day of snow. Maybe all in the same day too.
  • Options
    Jesse SJesse S Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    My parents live in Teton Valley on the Idaho side of the mountains, it's a gorgeous place with simply amazing light in the evening and mornings.

In May it can be very muddy and wet, but that also means that things will be nice and green and the wildflowers will probably have started to come out. As for animals, Spring also means babies, if that's your thing. You can almost always see critters in Yellowstone and if you know where to look, there's plenty of them outside the park as well. It will still get plenty cold at night.

Fall is probably the best time to go to Yellowstone if you can handle the cold (it will be fine during the day, but even in September it might get below freezing at night). It's the off-season, so far fewer tourists and should be cheaper, and usually no snow yet except in the very highest elevations. Lots and lots of animals anytime of year, but not as many "bear-jams". Lamar Valley is a great place in the park to see animals because it doesn't see the amount of traffic as other parts of the park. I've personally seen wolves, foxes, coyotes, moose and grizzlies there along with the usual bison and elk (you'll see plenty of those anywhere in the park.) Bring a Loooong telephoto lens or a spotting scope.

In the winter the elk come down into the refuge at Jackson Hole and you can see them from town but September is probably a bit too early for that. You won't see much Fall color until October unless it's been really cold.

Honestly, it's hard to find a BAD time to go there. It's gorgeous pretty much year-round, although it can get a bit bleak in early Spring.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
  • Options
    RagonRagon Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    I used to live in Jackson for years... I miss it everyday. I currently go back about five times a year for climbing, backpacking, kayaking, and skiing. In fact I leave again on Sun for another trip!! Like Jesse S said above.. there isn't really a BAD time to go. Weather there can be hard to nail down, with high elevation you can get all four seasons in a day's time... But I would say your best bet is some time between the last two weeks of July and the first two weeks of Sept.
  • Options
    BlufoxBlufox Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    Early June for Me!
    I went a couple of years ago during the first week of June. The weather was beautiful, the sky a deep blue, and the crowds sparse (provided that you go before school is out for the summer). Very beautiful that time of the year, with the snow-capped Tetons!

Happy travels!
    Larry

"Every moment in life is unique and will never be repeated.
    These are the moments that present the greatest opportunity for a photographer ..."