My First Foray into night Photography

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited December 16, 2010 in Landscapes
Ok so its not my first attempt but I have never really had a night photo that I liked! I recently purchased a 7d and put it to the night test and am really happy with the results! These are my tests and so hopefully I can get out and start making something great!

1127046617_Jnjov-L.jpg

1127047985_yxJUz-L.jpg

1127049213_Q8tj2-L.jpg

1127050653_mYjBk-L.jpg

1127053489_uHBAH-L.jpg

Comments

• ritewingerritewinger Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    These are all very good for a first attempt. I don't care for #3, needs more foreground, but you probably know that.
    Nice work......thumb.gif
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    Nice shots! Are those clouds or northern lights in pic 1? Also, in the last pic, is the streak in the upper LH corner a plane or a lucky meteor capture?
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    Thanks for the replies!

I agree about #3 it was my try at finding the north star and I couldn't figure out where the big dipper was!

The streak in the left hand corner of the last one is a plane but I did get a meteroite or two in the whole set. Saw about 25 in the hour or two we were out.
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    Very neat how did you get that affect in the sky did you move while shooting(if that makes any sense if it doesnt lol sorry)
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    No more sleep for you :D You have one of the best locations for night work.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    considering how much DARKNESS you get up north, I'm seriousy surprised you haven't gotten into night photography more! go have fun and keep posting :)

(and yes, someday I'll bundle up enough to do this at night too :P )
    //Leah
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    What a great location to play with night photography. Fun first shots. I want to see a bunch more as you find your favorite spots to shoot in the area. clap.gif

Jackiejay, The star movement (actually the Earth movement) in the sky is natural. Any exposure longer than 25-30 seconds will begin to show the star trails. If you search on "star trails" you will find some outstanding examples.
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    Oh okay thanks I will do a search its a neat affect.:)
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    Kelsey does night photography in Alaska in December... Hmm, I'm going to guess that you maybe thought about putting shoes on for that? :D

Great stuff and congrats on the awesome camera upgrade! I bet you'll have a blast with the scenery and darkness you have there. Waiting.....
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    Beautiful! Best, Pam
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    I love your first image what a great location, I would be tempted to take all the man-made structures out of the composition by moving closer but try to retain as much of the unfrozen water in the shot like you have done in the first image. If you had thought of it; I could see this first image as a composite by taking a 25 or 30 second shot to freeze the stars and composit it with a longer version like you have and just paint back in that crown of clouds. Oh Yea.

really nice set.
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the comments!

Schmoo its funny you say that because I actually wasn't wearing shoes. I'll admit it I cheated and shot all these from inside the car. It was cold out there!
    Oh thats also the reason for the post coincidentally hehe. Doug I like the idea! I'll keep that in mind next time for sure.

I look forward to posting more! Have to do them now because in the summer theres no more stars!
  • WyomingBobWyomingBob Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2010
    Nice pictures. I have tried a few night shots but never get what I am trying to do. Nikon D200 18-200 lens.
    Bob
    [URL="mhtml:{18670624-DB0A-431A-8330-BBDBBC040B7D}mid://00000061/!x-usc:http://bobmolderphotography.smugmug.com/"]http://BobMolderPhotography.smugmug.com/[/URL]
  • helloyo53helloyo53 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2010
    Nice pictures. Once I get my new camera, I want to get into the night photography too. Not a big fan of #3, though I know now that you were searching for the North Star. Looks like you just got it into the photo. I think my favourite is the last one. The colours really pop out to me more, especially with the mountains. Good set of pictures!
    -Brandon

Flickr
    My Gear
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2010
    Very nice first attempt! The first is the strongest of the bunch, and I agree with Doug about moving closer to the river. However, it might be harder to do with the car and no shoes! Enviable location. And at some point you might even get some auroras in!