candle portrait

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited December 18, 2010 in People
A friend requested this shot of her kids for Christmas cards. I kinda liked the desaturated look, but she asked for a b&w, so I did a few variations for her. I'm a bit concerned they will print a bit dark, but wanted to preserve the candle glow. Thoughts?

1127321421_Y625D-XL.jpg

1127323159_5ntnt-XL.jpg

1127321914_6onPu-XL.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    I kind of like the sepia one, I'm usually not a fan, but I think it works in this case, although the black and white does look classy. I think in the first one, there's some different colors of light going on, like some blue from somewhere and the orange from the candle. Did you light this will anything or is it all natural light?
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    I kind of like the sepia one, I'm usually not a fan, but I think it works in this case, although the black and white does look classy. I think in the first one, there's some different colors of light going on, like some blue from somewhere and the orange from the candle. Did you light this will anything or is it all natural light?

It's all window and candle light. I applied a free LR preset by Sarah Ji called Gingko, looking for a warm, vintagey, desaturated look. It's almost like it has a cool base with oranges and pinks over top.
    Elaine

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    I like the over all warmth of the color version. If the blue / purple fur around the girls neck bothers you just select it and desaturate a little.

Sam
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    I like the over all warmth of the color version. If the blue / purple fur around the girls neck bothers you just select it and desaturate a little.

Sam

Thanks, Sam! It doesn't bother me a bit! thumb.gif
    Elaine

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    i kind of like the sepia one, i'm usually not a fan, but i think it works in this case, although the black and white does look classy. I think in the first one, there's some different colors of light going on, like some blue from somewhere and the orange from the candle. Did you light this will anything or is it all natural light?

+1
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    I like #3 too... the sepia tone... just warms it up nicely. Great shot!
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    I like number 3 as well.
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    I really like #2. Nobody really cared for my desaturated candle shot this year, either. I do agree that the warm glow of #1 is nice, but I still stick with #2 as my choice.
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    I love all three! No matter which one she picks you can't go wrong in my opinion. Each has it's own charm. ne_nau.gif
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album