Ice Angel & other Ice sculptures

eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
edited January 31, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
1) Ice Angel. Dat's Photography went out with a Photo club member to photograph the Ice Sculptures located on Stephen Ave S.W Calgary. We discovered that if we use a flash with a gel on it and shot through or into the ice it gave it more definition and detail. On this Photograph the SB900 flash with a TN-A1 gel placed behind the Angel shooting up into the ice sculpture gave us this angelic look that I was hoping for. Post edit with Aperture 3 and One One plug-in.
1124368039_L5GLY-L.jpg

2) Double Reflection in ice. I just had to combine the reflection to make an almost mirror image in the Ice Sculpture. In order to get this finished photograph I made a copy of the same photo and then combined the two copies then rotated one of the photos then blended them to make this mirror image of the reflection. Post processing with Aperture 3, Photoshop CS5
1124430860_tgvB9-L.jpg
3) Frozen Unicorn Ice Sculpture. Ice sculptures commissioned by the Calgary Downtown Association. This Photograph was taken by Dean Of dat's Photography on a recant photo shoot to Stephen Ave S.W Calgary Alberta. The weather was not to bad it was only -10c
1124485741_6UWA8-L.jpg

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    Beautiful ice -- you definitly caught the texture. Really like the horse sculpture, but the light behind the angel .. that worked out great.

May I ask how you keep your hands warm working out in -10°. We are just as cold here and I can never keep my hands warm :cry
  • eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2010
    Cold Hands
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Beautiful ice -- you definitly caught the texture. Really like the horse sculpture, but the light behind the angel .. that worked out great.

May I ask how you keep your hands warm working out in -10°. We are just as cold here and I can never keep my hands warm :cry

That is a problem I do have gloves but I have to take my right glove to shoot or change settings. I did see an add in a magazine for gloves that you can take your shooting finger out probably cost a bundle as it is geared to Photographers and we all have a tune of money mwink.gif that is before we spend it on new glass eek7.gif
    I guess I/we will have to just have cold hands and warm hearts.......

Thanks for the kind comments
    Dean
    edited December 16, 2010
    eyeguy wrote: »
    That is a problem I do have gloves but I have to take my right glove to shoot or change settings. I did see an add in a magazine for gloves that you can take your shooting finger out probably cost a bundle as it is geared to Photographers and we all have a tune of money mwink.gif that is before we spend it on new glass eek7.gif
    I guess I/we will have to just have cold hands and warm hearts.......

Thanks for the kind comments
    Dean

Thanks Dean for letting me about your choice in hand wear :D

I've tried everything and haven't found anything yet that works. Haven't seen the glove were you can take your shooting finger out yet, but I'm sure it's expensive.
    edited December 16, 2010
    Finger Shooting Glove
    Thanks Dean for letting me about your choice in hand wear :D

I've tried everything and haven't found anything yet that works. Haven't seen the glove were you can take your shooting finger out yet, but I'm sure it's expensive.
    I found the add for the glove it is in December issue of Popular Photography it is on sale at Adorama for $19.95 us not bad ? I think you or I could do the same thing just cut a slit in the glove so you can stick your finger out thumb.gif
    Dean
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 16, 2010
    I have a pair of Manfrotto photographer's gloves, which work fairly well in Madrid's winter, but I'm sure would not be up to what you guys have to face. They have little rubberized bumps on them that provide a solid grip and make it fairly easy to use all of the camera controls. Maybe you could wear these underneath something else that you take off when actually shooting? ne_nau.gif
    edited December 16, 2010
    Gloves
    Richard wrote: »
    I have a pair of Manfrotto photographer's gloves, which work fairly well in Madrid's winter, but I'm sure would not be up to what you guys have to face. They have little rubberized bumps on them that provide a solid grip and make it fairly easy to use all of the camera controls. Maybe you could wear these underneath something else that you take off when actually shooting? ne_nau.gif
    Good Idea. In Alberta canada it can get dam cold I have been out shooting when it has been -25c = -13f perhaps I am a bit nuts ne_nau.gif but I did get some good shoots of Bobsledding 1098699679_DMwFm-L.jpg
    edited December 16, 2010
    Took a look at the gloves at Adorama -- we could just cut holes in our own :D

Couldn't find the Manfrotto ones on their site.

Nice catch of the bobsled thumb.gif
    edited December 17, 2010
    I couldn't find them anywhere, so I guess they have stopped making them. Maybe I should put mine up for auction rolleyes1.gif.
    edited December 17, 2010
    I couldn't find them anywhere, so I guess they have stopped making them. Maybe I should put mine up for auction rolleyes1.gif.

rolleyes1.gif
    edited December 17, 2010

Ooops...I put them on this morning and they're Lowepro, not Manfrotto. Still couldn't find them anywhere. ne_nau.gif
  • HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010

http://www.manfrotto.com/About+Us/Apparel/3670780

The Manfrotto Lino Bag & Apparel Collection will be available in Spring 2011

"Fantastic features have been designed and integrated into a range of products that are primarily professional carrying solutions including a field jacket, wind jacket, soft shell jacket, a vest, ponchos and gloves and hats".
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Took a look at the gloves at Adorama -- we could just cut holes in our own :D

Nice catch of the bobsled thumb.gif

I don't mean to sidetrack a post about some awesome shots but what I do to keep hand warm in Wisconsin is I wear hunting gloves that allow the shooting finger out, also for extra warmth I sometimes add the chemical hand warmers.

Here are the type I use
    http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=428292&pdesc=Gander_Mountain_Mens_Polartec_Glomitt&str=gloves&merchID=4005
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
    edited December 28, 2010
    chemical hand warmers
    dbveto wrote: »
    I don't mean to sidetrack a post about some awesome shots but what I do to keep hand warm in Wisconsin is I wear hunting gloves that allow the shooting finger out, also for extra warmth I sometimes add the chemical hand warmers.

Here are the type I use
    http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=428292&pdesc=Gander_Mountain_Mens_Polartec_Glomitt&str=gloves&merchID=4005

Thanks for the information. I was thinking about the chemical hand warmers idea. As I will be off to shoot more Ice Sculptures in January at the Ice Magic Festival.http://www.banfflakelouise.com/events-and-festivals/festivals/ice-magic-festival

I will post some photos when I get back along with how I kept my self comfortable thumb.gif
    edited December 28, 2010
    eyeguy wrote: »
    Thanks for the information. I was thinking about the chemical hand warmers idea. As I will be off to shoot more Ice Sculptures in January at the Ice Magic Festival.http://www.banfflakelouise.com/events-and-festivals/festivals/ice-magic-festival

I will post some photos when I get back along with how I kept my self comfortable thumb.gif

Look forward to seeing your next set of photos :D

Will look at the gloves too at Gander Mt.
    edited January 27, 2011
    Ice Magic Festival
    I just returned from the Ice Magic Festival.As per this post and the use of gloves to keep the hands worm.Well it turned out the weather was great and the temp was at a comfortable -6c so I didn't have to use the gloves much.I hope you enjoy the photos.
    The Ice Magic Festival is an International Ice Carving Competition Located at the spectacular Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise in Banff National Park, artists from around the world are invited to join us at the 2011 Ice Magic Festival. With 34 hours of carving time, twelve teams of two are invited to transform 15 blocks of ice into themed masterpieces.

1) Photograph taken at dusk. The sky was an amazing colour of blue and the carvers work light shining on the dragon gave it a nice gold colour.
    1168569440_LeChi-L.jpg
    2)
    1168566029_umdWE-L.jpg
    3)
    1168568553_QruC6-L.jpg
    4) This is a close up of the ice ball held by the dragon slayer.I was able to capture the reflection of the hotel and the snow.I think it looks like a snow-globe being shaken.
    1168567348_6EKuk-L.jpg
    5)
    1168574398_pKQjz-L.jpg
    edited January 27, 2011
    Wow .. these are certainly a piece of art. The reflection in the ice is great, but the background in your first photo works so well with the ice sculpture... perfect thumb.gif
  • Morning DuskMorning Dusk Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    now those are some talented artists! gorgeous pictures! love that dragon picture with the light hitting it at just the right angle (:
    " I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once "
    -Ashleigh Brilliant
    edited January 31, 2011
    Thanks for the kind words
    Thanks for the kind words. The ice sculptures are Amazing. The detail that the carvers can carve into the ice is even more amazing than the photos can show. We will be going back next year.