Geminids Meteor Shower 2010

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited December 17, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Anybody see the Geminids meteor shower on Monday night? I watched in them Death Valley from midnight to 2:00 AM with fellow Dgrin member, David "Shutter" Ryan. The meteors were plentiful and it was an impressive show. We saw at least a hundred of them and I managed to capture 23 of them with my camera. However, even though they looked great in person, most of them came out pretty faint in the camera. Here are the two best shots. The first two are crops. ISO3200, F2.8, 30s exposures, 16mm, on full-frame sensor.

1127738852_m4yfx-L.jpg

1127738515_576nm-L.jpg

Here's an uncropped version of the second one.
1127739683_2QvWa-L.jpg
I'm assuming the big bright blobs are planets and galaxies. All in all, it was a bit disappointing from a photographic standpoint. Some day I hope to get a really big fireball meteor, so I intend to keep trying.

Thanks for looking, and feel free to add your own shots if you've got them.

Cheers,
-joel

Comments

• CanonFanCanonFan Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2010
    Cool! I want to try this type shot ; been yrs since I did this with 35mm to capture star trails. Very nice feeling of freedom and solitude, in your shot!
    Capture the Light!

Franklin, NC
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2010
    Fabulous shots Joel. clap.gif I believe the "big blobs" are clusters, not planets.

What was the weather like in DV, and let's see some more shots (please)
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 16, 2010
    CanonFan wrote: »
    Cool! I want to try this type shot ; been yrs since I did this with 35mm to capture star trails. Very nice feeling of freedom and solitude, in your shot!
    Thanks, CanonFan. I'm always very impressed by folks who used to do this sort of thing on film. My dad used to do stuff like that. I liked your comment about freedom and solitude. Death Valley has plenty of that, once you venture off the beaten paths.
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Fabulous shots Joel. clap.gif I believe the "big blobs" are clusters, not planets.

What was the weather like in DV, and let's see some more shots (please)
    Thanks, Dan! The weather in Death Valley was great. Chilly mornings and evenings, and light jacket to T shirt during the day. Partially cloudy skies made star photography challenging, but made for excellent sunsets and sunrises. So many shots to process, so little time. :cry (SOME of us still work for a living. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif)

Cheers,
    -joel
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2010
    I love these night sky shots. The meteors just take it up another notch. wings.gif

Nicely done Joel. DV has to be one of the better areas in the Southern US for night work and you took full advantage of the opportunity. Very clean and detailed images.bowdown.gif

Now go process the rest of them and post them up. rolleyes1.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 17, 2010
    bgarland wrote: »
    I love these night sky shots. The meteors just take it up another notch. wings.gif

Nicely done Joel. DV has to be one of the better areas in the Southern US for night work and you took full advantage of the opportunity. Very clean and detailed images.bowdown.gif

Now go process the rest of them and post them up. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks, Brad. DV is awesome in every way, except for one. Too many pictures to process. :bash

rolleyes1.gif
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    These are awesome ... thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif