What size?

wildernesswindowwildernesswindow Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited December 19, 2010 in Finishing School
I'm not sure this is the right thread, but it's as close as I could find. Our company wants to get ready to do our first art show in the spring and wanted to get a general poll as to what people believed would be the most popular size for nature photography prints. :dunno We're trying to figure out our printing cost and have this great debate going on about size. Can we get some opinions?

Thank you,
Katherine Adolphson
Wilderness Window Photography

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    8x10 is really small for a show, 16x20 would be my Ideal smallest with 24x30 as a good standard and 30x40 or 40x60 as my largest.....by adding approx 4 inches to the size will give mat sizes and frame sizes if you are framing...but frame sizes are the mat size so a bit confusing but for shows I think keeping the frame simple but elegant is the key, especially if selling the prints at the show.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    8x10 is really small for a show, 16x20 would be my Ideal smallest with 24x30 as a good standard and 30x40 or 40x60 as my largest.....by adding approx 4 inches to the size will give mat sizes and frame sizes if you are framing...but frame sizes are the mat size so a bit confusing but for shows I think keeping the frame simple but elegant is the key, especially if selling the prints at the show.

My favorite size of late is 10x15 because it's full-frame (but let's not talk about how difficult it is to find mats with a 10x15 opening). Bigger, while keeping the full frame, would be even better.
  • FACzenFACzen Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 19, 2010
    I have some 9x18 and 12x18 prints framed and matted to 24x24 and I find them small. They're the right size for what I'm doing (I have a 22' wall with 4 prints displayed) but if I were doing a gallery, I'd make them at least 16x24 and mat them up to 30".

That said, i did some smaller canvas prints, the biggest of which is 5x7, inside a 7.5x9.5 mat inside a 9x12 frame and put a grouping of 5 on a smaller wall and they look great. A lot depends on how much space you have and how many prints you want to display.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 19, 2010
    16 x 20 or even 16 x 24 prints will not look too large in a display. Even 24 x 30 in prints will look very nice.

8 x 10s are as small as I would go, even if matted.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin