Whats the most efficient and long lasting 8x10 printer?

OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
edited December 30, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Ever since I started photography, I've kind of avoided anything small, but now, I need to start printing small stuff myself instead of having to drive 30 minutes or wait a couple days to have prints ship to my door. For those that have tried their share of printers, or even just have done a lot of research, I have a question:

Whats the most ink efficient and archival grade pigment using letter-size printer you've found?

On the side, archival bulk ink systems would be a plus as well if anyone has experience with all of that. Has anyone tried something like Lyson CavePaint and can attest to its quality?

Comments

• OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Anyone? lol
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 29, 2010
    I moved this to the Digital Darkroom Gear forum where we normally discuss printers and such.

I gave up trying to do quality inkjet prints years ago so I'm afraid I'm not much help. ne_nau.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    For what it is worth, I really like my Epson 2880. It does up to 13x19 and the ink is supposed to last 200 years on good paper. It beats any print I have ever paid for too. I got it about one and a half years ago with a super rebate deal. I think I paid $400 for it eek7.gif. The only thing is I wish it was the 3880 now.... Bigger inks, bigger prints and no black swapping. But really the amount I print, the 2880 was a great choice.

The problem with all of this is it does make you a color snob. I had to get a color munki to calibrate my monitor and make custom paper profiles. And now I really notice color issues on any prints I see.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, although that's not quite what I'm asking for. I know what printers do what, but I'm not sure how efficient they really are. I've found comments that the 2400's eat like %30 more ink than the 2200s... there's no standard for ink consumption with this market. Apparently the lack of standardization causes $6 billion + annually in wasted half full cartridges since there is no regulation for it. Sick, isn't it?

I'm more or less looking for a price per print reference, which I finally found at... guess where? www.printer.com

Laughing.gif. Figures. Its in the most obvious place yet was so hard to find.

So far my results are:

Best bulk ink system (meaning compatibility, color reproduction and longevity, not price alone): Lyson Cavepaint R24 ink system

Printer.com's search interface is terribly inefficient, you may have to bear with it :(

Heres an interesting efficiency list. Top efficiency for a good printer on the list is the R1900. The R2200 and R2400 are actually less expensive but not on the list either. Printer.com's system stinks for general comparison but if you know what printer you want to compare its nice.

I'm leaning towards the R2200 printer which is on my shelf right now in light of finding out its decently efficient with the ink, Laughing.gif... and I've been holding off thinking I'd want a newer ink system when now I can just buy the R24 stuff for it.