Options

Novatron 220 Plus strobes question

TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited December 17, 2010 in Accessories
Hi,

I have been asked to shoot portraits for the fire department that I work for. One of the guys I work with brought in an old (25years) Novatron 220 plus strobe kit with 3 lights, and 2 umbrellas. I was hoping someone here is familiar with them, I have never used strobes. I'm shooting tethered into LR3. Could anyone tell me the positioning for these lights? One has no switch,so I'm assuming it's full power. One has a switch with a -1 on it, and the other is a -2 switch. One of them is for the background, because one of the light stands is only 2 ft tall. I know, this rambling almost sounds like an algebra equation..sorry!
Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited December 16, 2010
    Be sure to contact Novatron to see if the trigger voltage of this unit is safe for modern digital cameras.

customerservice@omegasatter.com

http://www.novatron.com/static/2

Yes, I think that the switches with the -1/-2 settings are toggles and either full power or the indicated stop reduction (basically an EV reduction).

Without seeing images of the heads it's hard to say exactly how to recommend using them. I suggest that I would try using the head with the -2 as the background light and then set up the other heads with umbrellas.

Find a reflector and another stand, you can improvise if you wish, and try the following 3-light plus reflector setup:

http://www.prophotolife.com/video-episode-14-the-classic-three-light-portrait/

Note the direction that the model faces relative to the light/reflector position. If you invert the location of the lights you would also change the positioning of the subject.

In this setup the key light and reflector-fill are in front and the hair-rim light and background light are behind. The background light typically doesn't need to be very powerful so try the -2 setting there. The hair-rim light can be a number of different ratios depending on the desired effect but start with the -1. That leaves the full power head for the key light. If the umbrellas are convertible, either reflector or shoot-through depending on whether the flash head is in front of the umbrella or behind, start with shoot-through.

This should get you an extremely competent looking portrait with the lights you have.

Test the setup well in advance of the shoot. Feel free to experiment and deviate from this basic setup but only on test subjects.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2010
    to add to Ziggy's post...do not worry about the trigger voltage...just order an inexpensive trigger off ebay, I can guarantee you that 25yr old novatrons will cook your camera if connected directly......I load a Sunpak 622 to another photog cause his was in for repair and that cooked his Nikon D100....I would not shoot with any older flash unit hooked directly to my camera...that is what got me to buying the ebay triggers......all my 25 yr old White lighnings are wireless triggers or you can buy a Wein Safe sync but I still recommend the inexpensive ebay wireless triggers.....hopefully the new gen (RF602) is as relaible as my older style

Good Luck on your shoot
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 16, 2010
    Thanks so much Ziggy. Right now I'm using a white muslin. If that is completely blown out (clipping alert is all red) that's ok right? It's supposed to be that way...?
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2010
    Thanks Art. When you say don't hook directly, you mean the sync cable right? I have been taking test shots today using the sync cord and so far no problems (1DIIN).
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2010
    Thanks Art. When you say don't hook directly, you mean the sync cable right? I have been taking test shots today using the sync cord and so far no problems (1DIIN).

Yes...do not connect by a sync cable...unless you buy a Wein Safe Sync (approx $50.00) the ebay triggers will serve you better in the long run .....you are very lucky as all digital cams I have heard of have a sync trigger of 6v or less and my 25yr old WL5000 put out a voltage spike of at times over 100v...so do my SunPak Flash units......so far you are very lucky....I would spend $20-50 any day rather than take a chance to kill a camera....

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 16, 2010
    Thanks Art, I will order them tomorrow. I notice the flash heads don't have a sync port on them...would the wireless recieved then get plugged into the power unit? The sync cord has two prongs that plug into the power unit.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited December 17, 2010
    For your application I think that the following is a better product choice:

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-16-channel-Wireless-trigger-monolight/dp/B002OL4EE6/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1292593277&sr=1-10

I believe that the receiver on these units has a female PC connector that would connect to the existing sync cord from the Novatron pack. I use a very similar (visually identical) set with my studio monolights.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2010
    the ones Ziggy linked to are exactly like mine from ebay and on the back is the female pc connector that you attach to your pc cord.
    That is a good price,

Good Luck.

• Options
    edited December 17, 2010
    Awesome thanks guys! I ordered it with Amazon prime and it will be here Tuesday.