>>> challenge 47 ideas <<<

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 15, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
let's get creative! you're best shots i think, will come from use of tripod and remote or timer. mirror? ok, but... look at these examples :D

one of my all-time favorites, this is done by our own shay stephens
713072.jpg

of course, there's his second attempt, too.... :rolleyes

dgrinner jim fuglestad
21880921.jpg

another favorite done by a great photographer, ann chaiken
19999196.jpg

good friend, eric hatch
19906144.jpg

and our own sid, aka waxy
13990792-L.jpg

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2005
    Fabulous samples, andy! Great inspiration.

ann
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    yes, wonderful, Andy, Shay, Sid, et al inbetween. Wonderful.

Congratulations on a great talent!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Damn you, Andy!
    After all these samples my naive attempt of bar mirror based shot seems to be so trivial and childish..headscratch.gif
    "Need.. to think.. more...drink... less...shoot... MUCH more..."
    Thanks, those examples are awesome!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    So...is this a photography contest.....or a photoshop contest? Just curious. I've been getting the impression from other members that other than the "usual" photo editing in PS......that tricks and gimmicks are looked down on? I wouldn't have to even leave my desk...... if it was a photoshop contest. rolleyes1.gif

Some interesting ideas. Thanks for posting them.

BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    So...is this a photography contest.....or a photoshop contest? Just curious. I've been getting the impression from other members that other than the "usual" photo editing in PS......that tricks and gimmicks are looked down on? I wouldn't have to even leave my desk...... if it was a photoshop contest. rolleyes1.gif

Some interesting ideas. Thanks for posting them.

BMP

i gave ideas that emphasize both shooting and photoshop here. fuglestad, waxy's examples are no photoshop... but, make no mistake, to shoot "three's company" shay had to do some serious camera work.

to answer your question: photoshop work of any kind is allowed in our challenges - except when we specifically have a "no photoshop" challenge - and we do that from time to time.

for this challenge - you'd have to use fresh shots of yourself - taken during the challenge - and then photoshop away :D
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    Great examples Andy.
    I wish our buddy Eric would get his butt over here:D
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    andy wrote:

to answer your question: photoshop work of any kind is allowed in our challenges - except when we specifically have a "no photoshop" challenge - and we do that from time to time.

for this challenge - you'd have to use fresh shots of yourself - taken during the challenge - and then photoshop away :D

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifeek7.gif :uhoh :D

Thanks Andy. I gottchYa. thumb.gif

Like the planet wasn't in trouble enough ......with one of me.....already. 1drink.gif

BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2005
    andy wrote:

Another rule that I missed. Just out of interest how many times do we have the 'NO' photoshop rule applied to the challenge?headscratch.gif
    I would personally like to see it as a more basic photography challenge but rules is rules I suppose. (has anyone ever thought about a separate PS challenge?)
    Great examples though, very impressive image making. I especially like shay's & waxy's.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    SnapHappy wrote:
    Another rule that I missed.

dunno how it's possible to miss it :D

we've had probably 1/4th of the challenges be no photoshop challenges. and probably the big majority of the winners have been straight shots, why not take a look at them all in the winner's gallery?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    SnapHappy wrote:
    Another rule that I missed. Just out of interest how many times do we have the 'NO' photoshop rule applied to the challenge?headscratch.gif
    I would personally like to see it as a more basic photography challenge but rules is rules I suppose. (has anyone ever thought about a separate PS challenge?)
    Great examples though, very impressive image making. I especially like shay's & waxy's.
    Darren, I don't think you were here, yet, when we had the last no PS challenge.

You would have noticed. There is much discussion then as to what exactly is Photoshop, lol.

I don't see anything wrong with photoshop at all. Some people take pride in not doing it, but I don't understand that in a regular challenge.

In the non PS challenges, certain things are allowed. In fact, I would call them semi photoshop challenges.

Andy, we should have a hands off, no RAW, out of the camera challenge, that would get everyone. No cropping, rotating, etc NaNa!
    Just jpg out of the camera.

I really like Shay's photo, I like Ann Chaiken's photo, maybe we could have a tutorial on how to do that.

I will put up a very bad, ugly photo grouping of me, no PS whatsoever, except the auto RAW as they were shot in RAW, and cropping to fit.

ginger (It is totally RAW, explicit RAW person warning applies)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    andy wrote:
    dunno how it's possible to miss it :D

we've had probably 1/4th of the challenges be no photoshop challenges. and probably the big majority of the winners have been straight shots, why not take a look at them all in the winner's gallery?

Stupid me, I misunderstood the rules and read them as only basic adjustments allowed and not when specifically stated as 'non ps'. :tiptoe

I've had a look at the gallery, mighty impressive.:wow bowdown.gif

Ginger thanks for the reply and yes I think it was before my time. (must say i do like your entry.:):

I tend to lean the other way on the 'PS thing' but still can't make my mind up on the whole thing 100%. To be honest I have a copy of PS but haven't used the thing yet as waiting to upgrade my RAM on the powerbook. How much digital manipulation is too much? I'm sure it's been discussed so I will have a search and a read for people's views. I do not want to hijack the thread. :D So back to the main subject, idea's......

I like the use of reflection in self portraits and think there are still many ways in which to expand on this. Also like had the idea of taking a self portrait as the only face looking at the camera amongst a bustling and busy environment but can't get my camera back in time to have a go at that one.

I came across a link to the gallery of self portraits of members, I'm sure it was in the mug shot thread but can't seem to find it again. This may also be an inspiration if anyone can provide it. thumb.gif