my first portriat c&c please

tbaybucstbaybucs Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited December 18, 2010 in People
the subjects wanted a 60's style washed out kinda feel i did my best d300 sigma 105 mm 2.8 n0 flash or fill of any kind.
now i know the faces are shady but that's what they wanted. this is my first post please be kind :P
1126509008_auSBa-XL-2.jpg

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    Greetings from Clearwater and welcome to Dgrin.

If this is what they wanted, then you delivered a decent backlit portrait. As you know, a bit of fill, even with a reflector, would have helped light up their faces and give more pop to this photo. I'm also not sure about the crop. While I usually like tight crops, this one would work better for me if his hand had not been chopped.
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    Don't take this the wrong way, and this is not a critique of the models, but she's a lot taller than he is, and in this shot I am drawn to that. It looks incongruous. I think it may have looked better had you managed to level them up a little. Now I'm no expert, and I surely wouldn't have noticed this at the time, it is only looking afterwards that I would have seen it.

I like the back-lighting, and as you have delivered what they wanted then that is surely a great thing.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    I will comment on the processing. For vintage washed out look, you need to desturate your colors more, add some more exposure back and add a color cast..I see green cast now but mostly in the lower right coner only.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • tbaybucstbaybucs Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 18, 2010
    thank you
    thank you all for your comments. first i did no pp mayube a little sharpening.2nd she was standing on a stair higher than him on pupose.
    i thought for sure whn i shot this the colors or the bg would be washed out so im stoked that i can fix this with a little ps thank you again for your valuable comments ( lakeland here)
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    This is an image you can work with and get a nice portrait for them. I'd crop it tighter, above her hand. It's stuck in her pocket anyway. You got really nice facial expressions.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    For your first portrait you certainly had an advanced subject and you did well. Normally you turn the bodies a little more but with big people you can't because then you see how thick they are, this you did well. How might you improve this next time. #1 raise the camera their bodies are closer to the camera than their heads so the bodies look big and the heads look small. With big people you may need to raise it a lot so the head looks big and the body looks small. #2 to reduce the size of the lady's body she can be behind him up to 1/2 of the width of her body can be hidden this way. This is done for two reasons , most women feel they could lose a few pounds and if she is very happy with the portrait the guy will be happy. That's enough for now. You did well in a very difficult situation!
  • tbaybucstbaybucs Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 18, 2010
    thank you all and i agree with all you have suggested they loved the image it is exactly what they wanted so i will do no more pp. but i will for next time
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    When photographing large people have them lean into each other. This helps to lessen their size and then crop it in closer. Bellies are acceptable in China but tend to be frowned upon here in the US. Good job getting them into the shade. Could you have moved the lady more forward or in some direction to lessen the blown out hair?

Leaning into the camera helps to demphaise (sp) the weight.