P1040036-silverdollar2.jpg
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6

Comments

• Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    I like the fish itself, but the background feels too evenly lit and cluttered. I think you want the silver fish to pop out of the picture. Bokeh (having the back defocused would help) as might lighting the fish and not the background. I know it's hard to take pictures of fish though, since they refuse to stay still.
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    I like the fish itself, but the background feels too evenly lit and cluttered. I think you want the silver fish to pop out of the picture. Bokeh (having the back defocused would help) as might lighting the fish and not the background. I know it's hard to take pictures of fish though, since they refuse to stay still.

Here is the same image with those edits:

#3 Silver Dollar:
    P1040036-silverdollar3.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    That looks better! But, is it flash that is lighting him? He seems so bright....gotta be a task, but can you flood light on the tank and not flash?
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2010
    rteest42 wrote: »
    That looks better! But, is it flash that is lighting him? He seems so bright....gotta be a task, but can you flood light on the tank and not flash?

They reflect any light like that...

Here's a different photo of the same fish. They light is a little less reflected on the fish:

#4 Silver Dollar
    P1040034-silverdollarB-4.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2010
    This is so much nicer, you can see more detail in the fish, the bit of pink line on his scales: he doesn't look flash blown! Now, maybe some post processing to burn down the foliage a bit more??
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2010
    This is so much nicer, you can see more detail in the fish, the bit of pink line on his scales: he doesn't look flash blown! Now, maybe some post processing to burn down the foliage a bit more??
    What do you mean by 'burn down the foliage'?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    Jenn wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'burn down the foliage'?

Laughing.gif! I have an image of you trying to ignite it underwater. rolleyes1.gif The attempts could make a hilarious scene in a movie.

I think she means use the burn tool in Photoshop or whatever software you have. Make it darker.

One other thing you could try is to tape a piece of kleenex over the flash. It would make the lighting less harsh.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2010
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Laughing.gif! I have an image of you trying to ignite it underwater. rolleyes1.gif The attempts could make a hilarious scene in a movie.

I think she means use the burn tool in Photoshop or whatever software you have. Make it darker.

One other thing you could try is to tape a piece of kleenex over the flash. It would make the lighting less harsh.

Well.. it's been a while since I've use that particular tool.. completely forgot about it. Laughing.gif

Is this what you mean:
    #5 Silver Dollar
    P1040034-silverdollarB-5.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2010
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »

Laughing.gif!!!!
    Thanks for answering for me...I've been in sewing mode (Christmas gifts won't wait...)....

Yes, use your dodge tool and darken the foliage, and maybe even a vignette to really make him stand out....
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2010
    Laughing.gif!!!!
    Thanks for answering for me...I've been in sewing mode (Christmas gifts won't wait...)....

Yes, use your dodge tool and darken the foliage, and maybe even a vignette to really make him stand out....

I've heard the word before, but I don't know what it is or how to do it.. what's a vignette and how do you do it? headscratch.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2010
    What kind of photo editing software are you using? Basically, a vignette will either lighten or darken the edges of the image...
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2010
    What kind of photo editing software are you using? Basically, a vignette will either lighten or darken the edges of the image...

I use photoshop.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2010
    Just wanted to say that I think you're getting very good advice, Jenn! Tricky subject, too....