I am curious...

rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
edited December 20, 2010 in Landscapes
of your thoughts on this photo. It is a bit more over the top than I generally do but I kind of liked it and was wondering what you thought.

Thanks for looking!

Ron

1129393463_nav3J-XL.jpg
"The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95

Comments

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    Over all I really like it. There is a lot of movement in the sky from left to right that rhymes with the grass in your foreground which I really like. I like where you placed the trees in the image, it gives us time to enjoy the grasses leading into them. It has a pinkish cast to it but I would imagine there really was a cast given off from that sky. The only thing I would change is the upper right part of the sky draws my eye there and it just doesn't seem to fit with any of the rest of the sky and I keep going back to it. It you have CS5 i would lasso it a hit it with content aware. I may have also selectively lightened some of the snow in the image to bring that out. I might also lighten the foreground grasses some just to see it that helped give some foreground contrast. Nice photo.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    I like it!

The only area that might improve on this wonderful image is the ground. Maybe make the snow white, and see if lighter or darker ground helps or not.

Sam
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    i like it, Ron... love the colors in the sky! brightening the snow might be a nice touch, but be careful if you do, so it doesn't look unnatural compared to everything else in the foreground. the only thing i might do is crop it a bit from the bottom and right... shave a bit off both to put the trees a little closer to the right edge, but maintain the same image ratio... other than that, a very pleasing image!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    I do like it, but the noise in the sky is bothersome to me. (typical in pushed HDRs):D I use dfine 2.0 to correct noise. I would also try cropping off a tad more from the bottom.
  • yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    Nice image,
    but I agree with Dan that a bottom crop might make it even better.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    I really like it! Agree with the crop and losing the snow patches. Also lightening up the foreground just a bit. It's a winner.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    I like Rocky's suggestions about right and bottom crop. The upper right sky bothers me a bit also and if you crop it from the right that should fix it. The colors in the sky are incredible. I like the trio of trees; their placement is just right, IMO. Very nice shot, Ron! Where is it?

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    I like it .. winter skies look just like that when the sun sets.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    Thanks for your input on this photo. I appreciate it! I have tried some of your suggestions. What are your thoughts now?

Thanks, Ron

1130035936_ZhYiA-XL.jpg
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    Looks better to me, Ron. Now I really focus in on the trees and the sky is just right. Good work!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    I think the second shot looks great. Best, Pam
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    Much better!
  • yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2010
    Yes,
    I like the second version much better. thumb.gif
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2010
    yep... definitely much better!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2010
    Hi Ron, that is some killer sky you got there! I think overall the image is good. I would decrease the contrast and noise in the sky, get rid of that spot in the upper right corner, and lighten the foreground grasses. The second version is better. I may also selectively warm the foreground, as it appears to have more of a blue tint than I would expect from the light
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    I like the second one better, but I'm a "big sky" kind of a guy and I wish the trees were not there.