How to Export Virtual Copy

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited December 17, 2010 in Finishing School
I took a bunch of images for a family member getting married.
Once in LR I created some virtual copies so I could use some presets and not mess with the original.
Now I want to export all the DNG files but the virtual copies will not export. Any ideas why or how I can export the copies?

Thanks
R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    rickp wrote: »
    I took a bunch of images for a family member getting married.
    Once in LR I created some virtual copies so I could use some presets and not mess with the original.
    Now I want to export all the DNG files but the virtual copies will not export. Any ideas why or how I can export the copies?

Thanks
    R.

I'm not sure if the is the only or best way, but I believe that if you "unstack" them, they then become independent images and each should export. I'm not at home, so don't have LR in front of me to confirm.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    Select them, Export as Catalog.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    the images arent stacked. they says 2 of but they're not stacked per say. With that said though I need to check to see if they are independent images, then try.

arodney,
    can i still see the images if i export as catalog? Eventually I'm trying to export to a CD so the imaged can get viewed and passed around.
    edited December 17, 2010
    Unstacking didn't work

well i just learned that if I export the virtual copy to JPG, then it export just fine. It only fails when i export to DNG.

I need them in their RAW format so I can go back later and work on them if I need to.

R.
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    arodney,
    can i still see the images if i export as catalog? Eventually I'm trying to export to a CD so the imaged can get viewed and passed around.

Virtual Copies are only accessible within Lightroom. They are just metadata instructions for rendering with the original raw data. You can’t save them to a CD for others to use, you have to use them within the LR catalog. You could render out a TIFF with those settings to a CD. Or you could save the Catalog onto a CD and load it into LR from some other computer. But VC’s are not images themselves. They are instructions for rendering an image using the raw original.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    Unstacking didn't work

well i just learned that if I export the virtual copy to JPG, then it export just fine. It only fails when i export to DNG.

I need them in their RAW format so I can go back later and work on them if I need to.

R.

I don't use Lightroom, but I thought that exporting an image left the original in place and (I assume) this would be true of a virtual copy. This would allow further work to be carried out within Lightroom and a subsequent export of the re-vamped image at some point in the future.

Anthony.
    edited December 17, 2010
    what I'll end up doing then is burning the original files through filer (using a mac) then I'll export the virtual copies as jpgs so I'll have a copy of those as well. Then i can have a separate copy of the files for the girl.

It's shame, I thought an export would export everything.

R.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 17, 2010
    Right click on your virtual copy image in the Develop panel, and choose Export from the drop down dialogue box.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin