3/4 of photo is Black? Technical question.

rleighrleigh Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited December 20, 2010 in Cameras
I have no idea if this is in the right place, but i just joined and this is a great community. Feel free to move thread if needed.

The first camera body we bought here at work was a Canon Rebel years ago.

We'd like to get it working again just to have a second body around in case... but one day as we were shooting outdoors, this happened.
Was it just on it's last leg? Has anyone had this happen or know what in the world could cause it? We've had 3 different lenses on it with no change.

Not a big deal, just wondered if this has ever happened to anyone else.

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    At a guess the shutter is broken, it also looks like it what happens when you exceed the flash sync speed (were you using flash)?
    Yep I'm gonna go with a broken shutter, since a flash sync would cause a bit harsher of a line, I think. Try taking a 1 second picture, and see if the image looks okay.

Usually a shutter repair is $200 or $300, I forget which depending on the model...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    Yep, it looks like the shutter. Ouch! (on your wallet)
    It would be better to just buy a new body. You can get a newer Rebel for about the price of a new shutter, depending on the price of both but that's about right.
  • helloyo53helloyo53 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    Good excuse to buy a new body. mwink.gif
    -Brandon

Flickr
    My Gear
  • konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    helloyo53 wrote: »
    Good excuse to buy a new body. mwink.gif

Are we still talking about cameras??:Drolleyes1.gifD
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • helloyo53helloyo53 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    konomaniac wrote: »
    Are we still talking about cameras??:Drolleyes1.gifD

Hmm, I probably should have re-read my post. My bad. :D

Just for clarification, I'm talking camera body. :giggle
    -Brandon

Flickr
    My Gear
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    Here is an interesting video showing mirror and shutter movement - helps to understand what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CHgBuKmfog
  • rleighrleigh Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    Thank you for the responses!!! You all are so knowledgeable. This is such an old body that I don't think it would be worth fixing if that's the problem. :/
    Oh well!! It's just a back up body here at work so we'll probably just recycle it. Just figured I'd give it a shot.. maybe it would be something simple.

We can't find the battery charger anywhere and now it's dead from us messing around with it Friday. Grr. When I find it, we'll test out the 1 sec shutter and see if that works.
    Thanks again!
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    Are you using a flash by chance?
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    ^^ +1 it looks like sync speed was too high, eh?

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    If the original has EXIF data you can check to see if the shutter speed was within the sync range and settle that question once and for all.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    If using a flash, try it without it. No matter what your settings are. If it goes away, it is sync speed.
  • brancaleonebrancaleone Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    rleigh wrote: »
    I have no idea if this is in the right place, but i just joined and this is a great community. Feel free to move thread if needed.

The first camera body we bought here at work was a Canon Rebel years ago.

We'd like to get it working again just to have a second body around in case... but one day as we were shooting outdoors, this happened.
    Was it just on it's last leg? Has anyone had this happen or know what in the world could cause it? We've had 3 different lenses on it with no change.

Not a big deal, just wondered if this has ever happened to anyone else.

My feeling is that the shutter does not operate properly, and since is broken, already, I would try to see if it could be stuck, get a cotton swab and see if it moves again. To be sure it is the shutter try to set different shutter speed, lower, and see if the problem goes away. I had a similar problem with a broken shutter but it was working fine with a shutter speed of about 1/100.
    If nothing works be prepared to shell out around $300. Happy holidays. :D