New Canon 1D/1Ds/5D3 info

ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
edited December 18, 2010 in Cameras
This showed up recently.
http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/12/the-canon-high-end-cr2/

?!?

:huh

:scratch

Canon replaced the 1DII quickly with the 1DIIn. I wasn't following them back then, but would they do it again?...
That would be good, like Nikon, a fast FF body and a hi-res FF body. But what would they do with 1.3x? There have been rumors about a 1.3x video camera from canon to compete with Red, but I have a hard time seeing any of this happening. I'd hope they wouldn't abolish 1.3x in still cameras.

About the 5D3, it seems normal. They need to put in better AF, but they probably won't do 7D AF. That would be too close too a merge, and it might hurt sales?

Or is it all just baloney?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 17, 2010
    It's a rumor mill. I really don't put any stock in rumors. Even when a camera is officially announced it's usually a while before anyone gets one.

Patience is really the best policy.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2010
    A 100-400 f4, or f/4-5.6 would be nice. Doubt we'll see the f4, but they have to replace that old 100-400 sometime, don't they?
    There are two sides, it is a CR2 (a source who's been right in the past) but then again no one will hve any of these cameras anytime soon. Except Laforet and those guys ;~)
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    24-70 IS now please.

Yes. Please. And not now but... yesterday. Especially if it can be lightweight and under $700 :D
    I think the ladies would agree a more appropriate gestation time would be closer to 3 weeks

Given that I was one of those unlucky souls with morning (noon and night) sickness for all 9 months... YES!!!!!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    I'm gonna go with "wishful thinking" on that 1D mk4 replacement. Based on the wording of their post, it sounds like someone is just *wishing* that Canon would compete more directly with the D3 series. In the past, real rumors tend to be worded a certain way that gives off their authenticity...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    True, canon wouldn't go head to head witht he d3 as they are likely to lose AND if they do match it then whats left to differentiate but price, so thats shoots both their golden geeses dead.
    That's what I'm thinking- Canon and Nikon KNOW that it's not a good idea to get into a mere price war. To "win" in a price war you have to start doing really bad things, like cutting corners with quality control, etc.

So in my opinion Canon and Nikon PURPOSEFULLY avoid a direct confrontation as often as possible. Really, the only two cameras that are "nearly identical" are the 1Ds series and the D3X. But those are $8,000 cameras, so if you're buying one of those puppies, money is a lot less of a problem...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    I would love an evil that uses EF lenses, even if it's 4/3. Slap a 400 2.8 on there, now THAT would be a portable system right thererolleyes1.gif