Forever Dreaming

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited December 19, 2010 in Landscapes
I decided to head out this morning and try out my new Nikon 14-24. I probably should have tested it out first, as I did fumble around with the Canon adapter, which has a small dial to manually control the aperture. Even with the adapter (or at least the one I have), there is no communication between the lens and my Canon 5DII, so you just have to play around and sort of guess where you are as far as the aperture. The lens itself is incredibly sharp, my only nit about it is that it does not accommodate filters, though I hear Cokin has one in the works. This shot was somewhere around f/11, 1/2s, ISO 200. I manually blended two exposures for tonal range. I usually go here at high tide to catch the wave action, but today it was a little lower. I found a nice composition on a rock that would normally be underwater with a higher tide. The rocks here reflect the light well, and here created some nice lines as the sun peaked out. Thanks for looking.

1130451852_tkvqu-O.jpg

Comments

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    I like it, Chris! The foreground lighting is very pleasing. I just know you're going to have such fun with that lens.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    Very nice compo Chris, love the detail of the foreground, actually the detail throughout the shot is nice. You may want to switch to Nikon to get away from that aperture problem.Laughing.gif
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Very nice compo Chris, love the detail of the foreground, actually the detail throughout the shot is nice. You may want to switch to Nikon to get away from that aperture problem.Laughing.gif

Lol if I weren't already so heavily invested in canon I would. Canon needs to figure out the anti-aliasing filter, their image quality suffers for it. This nikon lens is unbelievably sharp, I think it will replace the 16-35 as my "always on" landscape lens. Thanks doug.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    Now that is some nice equipment. But even better skills. Well done. Where is that?
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    Beautiful photo from top to bottom, Chris. Nice job on blending, too, because to me it looks very natural. Best, Pam
  • Brian_SBrian_S Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    chrismoore wrote: »
    Canon needs to figure out the anti-aliasing filter, their image quality suffers for it.

beautiful picture!...if this is what you call image quality suffering i would love to see what you would get when its NOT suffering :)
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2010
    wonderful composition... nice wave action, and absolutely stunning light on the rocks in the foreground! well done!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2010
    Fabulos shot.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2010
    Brian_S wrote: »
    beautiful picture!...if this is what you call image quality suffering i would love to see what you would get when its NOT suffering :)

Yeah, really!:D